q-tec psu's?

locutus12 said:
there was a prime example in america, an entire floor of Qtec power supplys were used in a couple of buildings and look what happened...

I must admit that is a little below the belt, anyhow,

I have had a 550 Q-tec running in my secoundry for about 3 years now fine but I know for a fact now I've said this it'll proberbly blowup :(.

lowrider007 said:
I must admit that is a little below the belt, anyhow,

I have had a 550 Q-tec running in my secoundry for about 3 years now fine but I know for a fact now I've said this it'll proberbly blowup :(.

bah humbug. okeydokey, next time someone gets a tv show and turns the issue of paedophiles into a series of comedy routines, do make sure you all write in and inform them of how terrible you think it is, i.e. private eye.

as i said, hippocrits.

locutus12 said:
bah humbug. okeydokey, next time someone gets a tv show and turns the issue of paedophiles into a series of comedy routines, do make sure you all write in and inform them of how terrible you think it is, i.e. private eye.

as i said, hippocrits.
Someone needs to calm down. :rolleyes:

MC_Bob

mc_bob said:
Someone needs to calm down. :rolleyes:

MC_Bob

just not a fan of double standards and political correctness gone mad.

incidentally mcbob, when are you going to sort out your trust details... i still remember you claiming not to know who [email protected] was when you were trying to get myself and a friend to send half of our money for an X1800XL up front .... you used a different name and e-mail for the transactions too, funny how they all came from the same ip address as well.

Last edited:
I've used 2 Qtecs in the past with no problems. Funnily enough it was my ANTEC Truepower which blew at just over a year old, and the Qtecs just kept going fine. Today I run Antec and Tagan. No longer use the Qtecs, the horror stories here scared me, even though that probably only happens on 1 in a thousand :)

Tuvoc said:
I've used 2 Qtecs in the past with no problems. Funnily enough it was my ANTEC Truepower which blew at just over a year old, and the Qtecs just kept going fine. Today I run Antec and Tagan. No longer use the Qtecs, the horror stories here scared me, even though that probably only happens on 1 in a thousand :)

if only that were true :) i would say more than 50% of people who buy them will have a problem with them.

I had a Qtec for a while -- it didn't blow up, but the fan died (I suspect if I hadn't noticed, a bang wouldn't have been far off). I bought a more expensive named brand, and the difference in build quality was very evident. That's the reason Qtecs are so cheap -- they use cheap components, mass-produce them and I reckon quality control suffers to keep the cost down too.

Anyway, I've decided that it isn't worth skimping on a component that has the ability to take out the rest of the system if it goes wrong.

Ladforce said:
if only that were true :) i would say more than 50% of people who buy them will have a problem with them.

As with most things in life you get what you pay for, a QTec is cheap and nasty but they'll be ok in an older system that isn't too demanding.

As soon as you start thinking about powering a decent system with one of these its just not worth the risk, yeah you may save £20 now but if that dies and kills a £150 graphics card you're not going to be a happy bunny.

Pay the extra if you want peace of mind.

Ladforce said:

I would not agree with that :)

These qtec discussions come up regularly. They are no worse than any other generic PSU in my view. OCUK even responded to one of these qtec threads if I remember correctly, and stated they sell huge volumes and the return rate is very low. If they are used APPROPRIATELY, i.e. in a low-medium spec rig, they are fine. Of course they have no place in a high-end rig.

Minstadave said:
As with most things in life you get what you pay for, a QTec is cheap and nasty but they'll be ok in an older system that isn't too demanding.

As soon as you start thinking about powering a decent system with one of these its just not worth the risk, yeah you may save £20 now but if that dies and kills a £150 graphics card you're not going to be a happy bunny.

Pay the extra if you want peace of mind.

indeed its not worth risking the whole pc for a few notes more.

I am just thinking now... At what point I decided to stop buying Qtec / ColorsIT / Magna PSUs, and it was when I made my move to A64

Previously, my main rig was

NF7S / [email protected] / Rad9800Pro / 2x512MB Corsair XMS3500 / 3 HDs ( Cant remember what size, but I am sure it was a 40+80+120+40 ( 4 Drives ) plus 2xDVDRW and 2xCDRW, and the Qtec ran it fine.

However, I upgraded to a Winnie32 @ MSI Mobo, and it fell over from the start.

That was the Qtec 550 actually, and I just seen that the very same Qtec 550 is in the work PC and thats a Sempron 3100 on an ECS NForce 3+ Mobo, with 2x512MB OCZ RAM, and 3x80GB HDs and 2xDVDRW and its GFX is only an FX5700 and thats running just fine as that is, but then, being a sempron 3100 its not exactly the most serious system in the world I suppose is it?

snowdog said:
well seems its about true 50% of all people have trouble with em, i guess its just the luck of the draw if it works or not :P

Thats not true.

87% of the people who have Qtecs can't reply because there computer have broken
The other 13% have posted becuase their computer havent broken yet.
;)

MC_Bob

im currently using the 650w Qtec, and have been for 9months without any problems (touch wood).
3000+ Venice (2.4Ghz)
1GB GEIL VALUE 2.5 CAS
ASUS A8N-E
2 x 80GB IDE HDD's
x800GTO2
AUDIGY2

Back
Top Bottom