• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Q6600 @ 1.6MHz

Associate
OP
upgrade your motherboards bios to the newest available from the manufacturer's website.

this should solve all your problems (ram and cpu)

Where can I check for my current BIOS?

It seems to be upto date,
16yb

Associate
OP
It seems some guy had the same problem as me and he reset his BIOS settings to default, will I have to reinstall if I do this?

Associate
Is the multiplier set to 9x in the BIOS? Mine also runs at 6x 1.6ghz on the desktop and shoots back up to 2.4ghz when running applications (before I OC'ed it)

I have the default BIOS installed, check the disk that came with the motherboard. Also I dont believe you will have to reinstall anything.

Associate
OP
Is the multiplier set to 9x in the BIOS? Mine also runs at 6x 1.6ghz on the desktop and shoots back up to 2.4ghz when running applications (before I OC'ed it)

I have the default BIOS installed, check the disk that came with the motherboard. Also I dont believe you will have to reinstall anything.

The multiplier is set to 6x, how do I change this in the BIOS. It's grayed out for me :/.

Associate
OP

Thanks a lot man, just did it and it's running at 2.4GHz now :). Also what settings did you use for your OC? I'm planning to OC once I get the rest of my ram this week.

Associate
Thats a very cool temp! What heat sink are you using? Expect them to rise like mine did by about 10 degrees.

For overclocking just set the FSB to 333Mhz (default should be 266) and it will OC to 3ghz. Play around with higher frequencies for faster speeds, but be prepared it may become unstable.

Also make sure the voltage, RAM ratios and PCI express freq settings are correct. Most mobo's have these set on auto so dont worry too much. I have the voltage set to around 1.275 (Never go above 1.5 with a Q6600) and my RAM ratios set on 1:1 and PCI express freq on 100mhz.

If anyone thinks these values should be different please say so, so far they have worked fine for me, but there may be a better or more efficient value to input :)

Glad I could help :)

Associate
OP
Thats a very cool temp! What heat sink are you using? Expect them to rise like mine did by about 10 degrees.

For overclocking just set the FSB to 333Mhz (default should be 266) and it will OC to 3ghz. Play around with higher frequencies for faster speeds, but be prepared it may become unstable.

Also make sure the voltage, RAM ratios and PCI express freq settings are correct. Most mobo's have these set on auto so dont worry too much. I have the voltage set to around 1.275 (Never go above 1.5 with a Q6600) and my RAM ratios set on 1:1 and PCI express freq on 100mhz.

If anyone thinks these values should be different please say so, so far they have worked fine for me, but there may be a better or more efficient value to input :)

Glad I could help :)

I am using a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1155, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Cooler, I also have a exhaust fan right at the back of it and a fan pointing towards my ram. At the moment my ram is Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 HyperX T1 Memory Kit CL5 2.2V, I have another pair on the way which I RMA'd due to DOA. Should I wait till I get the other set of ram before OC'n?

Also what FSB are you currently using? and did you just change the FSB and nothing else?

Associate
hey swaps, just to let you know, q6600s become very difficult to overclock when you are running four sticks of ram. it puts a lot of strain on the northbridge, so you will need to up the voltage (NB or MCH in bios) quite a lot to get it stable, particularly if you want it running at 1066mhz. if you want to OC your CPU it may be a better idea to just run 4gb (which is plenty for gaming)

Associate
OP
hey swaps, just to let you know, q6600s become very difficult to overclock when you are running four sticks of ram. it puts a lot of strain on the northbridge, so you will need to up the voltage (NB or MCH in bios) quite a lot to get it stable, particularly if you want it running at 1066mhz. if you want to OC your CPU it may be a better idea to just run 4gb (which is plenty for gaming)

Mhm, do you think it would be fine just to OC it just a tad with 4 sticks of ram? like 3000MHz? That would be enough for me lol.

Associate
All I had to do was change the FSB to 333 (the current freq I am using) in the BIOS swaps and thats it. The mobo sorts everything else out for me but the values I gave you are what mine is set to.

Associate
I've had my Q6600 for 3yrs running at 3GHz. It's really easy just set the FSB to 333mhz. Rock stable hasn't missed a beat. My motherboard even has some jumpers to force the FSB to that speed so even if I reset the BIOS it comes back :)

Using an artic cooling freezer 7 pro or something.

I know have 2x2GB 1066mhz ram but I use to do the same on 4x1GB PC6400 ram, without a problem.

Associate
OP
I've had my Q6600 for 3yrs running at 3GHz. It's really easy just set the FSB to 333mhz. Rock stable hasn't missed a beat. My motherboard even has some jumpers to force the FSB to that speed so even if I reset the BIOS it comes back :)

Using an artic cooling freezer 7 pro or something.

I know have 2x2GB 1066mhz ram but I use to do the same on 4x1GB PC6400 ram, without a problem.

Awesome, so all you did was change the FSB? no volts etc? if so, yay :D.

Associate
Mobo should handle it, well I have the IP35 pro mobo and it sorts it out for me. Just double check the voltages etc are correct to the FAQ and you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom