Q6600 + P5Q

Associate
Okay little play i had today :) screenies included!

sorry taken on phone, not the best of qualitys

previously had arctic cooler pro 7

DSC00003.JPG

and was getting temps of upto 75c im prime small ffts and then computer switching off @ 3.2ghz

today i got my new TRUE BLACK EDITION

DSC00004.JPG

DSC00005.JPG

fan was easy to install, but the fan ties were a complete nightmare i almost smashed the cooler lol

DSC00006.JPG

fitted my antec 1600 rpm and noctua 1200 rpm to this baby eventually and done a test before putting back into case

DSC00007.JPG

and got it all tooked up nicely, apart from that my 320GB HDD died today :( was heart broken! gona RMA it and get new one for backup also.

sorry for bad picture on last one, i will get more soon

DSC00008.JPG

heres my temps running small ffts now with new cooler

final.jpg

CONCLUSION: i did really bad thermal paste job! used my finger for god sake and dabbed it on everywhere! im a thermal virgin :( sorry

could this be affecting my temp gap? im sure i should have better temps

so once my new cooler comes for my ati 4850 i will re apply the thermal paste and have a second go at it but will need to follow a guide i think

p.s i used the thermal paste that came with TRUE

Caporegime
Try reapplying the thermal paste for starters, but you could have an uneven cpu surface or the base of the cooler (quite common on the TRUE) you can cure this by lapping the surface of both cpu and cooler. Good drop in temps though compared to before.

Associate
What you have done is correct, i have read through the article a few times and basically from my understanding you need to adjust the TJmax figure to get an accurate reading. This is a quote from the article -

"The only major factor which will affect readings is Tjunction Max. Since the 65nm CPUs were released, enthusiasts and developers of temperature monitoring software have debated over the Tjunction Max. It was hoped that Intel would disclose these details at the August IDF; however, we were to be disappointed. A few months later and Intel has finally decided to disclose the Tjunction Max for every processor in the Core 2 line, both 45nm and 65nm, as well as Xeon server CPUs."

If you download Real Temp - http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/ - it should sense that you have a Q6600 and automatically adjust the TJmax figure for you, on mine it sets it to 95 even though according to the intel data it should be 90. I would sooner be on the safe side though and have left it at 95.

So yes it will lower the temperature readings, how accurate are they, nobody really knows! but seeing as the data came from Intel it can't be too far out surely...

Back
Top Bottom