• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Quad Core Release?

Associate
Had a search of the forums and couldn't really find the answer to my question. With Vista just around the corner, and considering their strict silencing issues, am I better off upgrading my system from 939 to AM2, awaiting Quad core before purchasing Vista? I am wanting to upgrading to Quad sometime soon after its release but I'm not wanting to pay an excess for another Vista lisence just for upgrading a motherboard and CPU.

Associate
As far as i remember (don't quote me on this!):

Intel will be transitioning to Socket B for Yorkfield / Bloomfield (i can't remember which one is the native quad). This processor will be 45 nm. So, if you buy a S775 motherboard, it seems likely that you will only be able to upgrade to Kentsfield.

AMD will be transitioning to AM2+ and AM3. AMD's native quad core, K8L, codename Barcelona, Budapest and Shanghai(?), should work on AM2 platforms. However, AM2 processors (e.g 65nm Brisbane X2) will not be able to work on AM3 platforms.

If your worried about the OEM license of Vista, it would seem that AMD would be the better choice.

Soldato
I kept the same copy of XP across 4-5 major computer upgrades. I guess the extra premium of buying the Retail version instead of OEM pays off sometimes.

Of course even with OEM you 'can' change the motherboard, you just have to phone Microsoft Support and tell them your old board fried, and you need windows reactivating. Being a typical 'far east' call centre, they dont ask many questions.

Associate
OP
Corasik said:
I kept the same copy of XP across 4-5 major computer upgrades. I guess the extra premium of buying the Retail version instead of OEM pays off sometimes.

Of course even with OEM you 'can' change the motherboard, you just have to phone Microsoft Support and tell them your old board fried, and you need windows reactivating. Being a typical 'far east' call centre, they dont ask many questions.

Just the words I wanted to hear, I'll place a pre-order now :)

Associate
Corasik said:

1. how many times do u think u can get away with doing that?
2. does that mean you need to do this everytime you reformat AND/OR change hardware?

Soldato
b.cummins said:
2. does that mean you need to do this everytime you reformat AND/OR change hardware?

i have had to do it many a time, my xp copy is legit and i just dont see the point in limiting the amount of times its allowed to be installed when we life in an age where theres more viruses and things going wrong with pc than before :(

Soldato
explain please

Fx-Overlord said:
As far as i remember (don't quote me on this!):

Intel will be transitioning to Socket B for Yorkfield / Bloomfield (i can't remember which one is the native quad). This processor will be 45 nm. So, if you buy a S775 motherboard, it seems likely that you will only be able to upgrade to Kentsfield.

AMD will be transitioning to AM2+ and AM3. AMD's native quad core, K8L, codename Barcelona, Budapest and Shanghai(?), should work on AM2 platforms. However, AM2 processors (e.g 65nm Brisbane X2) will not be able to work on AM3 platforms.

If your worried about the OEM license of Vista, it would seem that AMD would be the better choice.
Why is it a better choice to buy a AMD CPU over Intel when upgrading to Vista OEM ?

Associate
steveo said:
i have had to do it many a time, my xp copy is legit and i just dont see the point in limiting the amount of times its allowed to be installed when we life in an age where theres more viruses and things going wrong with pc than before :(
Cool yeah I totally agree. I'm going to be getting Vista OEM.. and hush hush its gonna be the first legally owned copy of windows I'll have - thing is with previous installs, obviously, activation isn't an issue.

So whats the procedure do you ring them up or can you reactivate it in the same way as to begin with? Also is there a limit, number wise to fresh installs with OEM vs. retail, or at all?

Associate
jamjar said:
Why is it a better choice to buy a AMD CPU over Intel when upgrading to Vista OEM ?

The Vista OEM editions only allow you to associate your Vista copy with one device. You cannot transfer your license to another device. This means if you upgrade the motherboard, this is classified as another device and so you cannot install Vista on this machine. Although as has been stated in the thread, you can transfer the license by saying your replacing a broken motherboard, this is technically outside the scope of the EULA.

Now with respect to AMD and Intel in the licensing scenario, i believe the later Intel (native) quadcores will use Socket B. Therefore, if you buy a S775 platform, you will not be able to upgrade to these quadcores, unless you buy another motherboard, hence, the windows OEM license does not allow this. However, if you were to go AMD, their native quadcores (i believe) can still be utilised on socket AM2, hence you should be able to install Vista OEM on this machine and still be within the terms of the EULA.

b.cummins said:
Cool yeah I totally agree. I'm going to be getting Vista OEM.. and hush hush its gonna be the first legally owned copy of windows I'll have - thing is with previous installs, obviously, activation isn't an issue.

So whats the procedure do you ring them up or can you reactivate it in the same way as to begin with? Also is there a limit, number wise to fresh installs with OEM vs. retail, or at all?

The main difference with OEM and retail is that the retail license is transferable and can be used on unlimited number of devices, although only one device at a time. THe OEM license is not transferable but can be reinstalled an unlimited (i think) number of times on the SAME device that it was intiially activated on.

Soldato
b.cummins said:

1) Lots I reckon! I corrupted my windows install (due to overclocking) a few times when I first built my rig and I also only used 1 stick of RAM originally so I ended up having to reactivate twice in about a week. The first time I didn't have to ring up actually, I just followed the on-screen instructions and it gave me a new activation code. The second time, I rang them up and I just said that I'd changed some hardware etc and that was it.

2) I googled 'windows activation' and this is what is comes up with:

So, within the first 30 days after installing Windows XP, you must get the system ‘activated’ if you are to be able to go on using it. This involves the computer dialing in and giving some information about the hardware on which Windows is installed, receiving in return a release code which will be recorded on the system. More is said below about OEM copies provided preinstalled on a new computer

At subsequent boots, Windows checks to see that it is still running on hardware that it can recognise as being the same. If it does not match well enough, you will be unable to do more than backup files until you call Microsoft to explain — for example, that the old machine broke down and had to be rebuilt — and get a new release code.

Soldato
thxs

Fx-Overlord said:
The Vista OEM editions only allow you to associate your Vista copy with one device. You cannot transfer your license to another device. This means if you upgrade the motherboard, this is classified as another device and so you cannot install Vista on this machine. Although as has been stated in the thread, you can transfer the license by saying your replacing a broken motherboard, this is technically outside the scope of the EULA.

Now with respect to AMD and Intel in the licensing scenario, i believe the later Intel (native) quadcores will use Socket B. Therefore, if you buy a S775 platform, you will not be able to upgrade to these quadcores, unless you buy another motherboard, hence, the windows OEM license does not allow this. However, if you were to go AMD, their native quadcores (i believe) can still be utilised on socket AM2, hence you should be able to install Vista OEM on this machine and still be within the terms of the EULA.

The main difference with OEM and retail is that the retail license is transferable and can be used on unlimited number of devices, although only one device at a time. THe OEM license is not transferable but can be reinstalled an unlimited (i think) number of times on the SAME device that it was intiially activated on.
So would you go with AMD over the Core 2 Duo CPU'S ? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom