Quake 3?

Soldato
IIRC the c patch was a sort of optional one that protected against a couple of exploits - mostly relating to being able to crash servers.

Any Quake 3/TA servers still running other than the odd mod will likely be running either OSP or CPMA (will be few if any running baseq3) but 99% of the community have moved over to quakelive AFAIK - never had any problems finding populated games in QL but its a few months since I last checked in.

Ok. Cheers. I wasn't sure if the exploit was capable of infecting my PC, that is what I was worried about. When I was using the Quake 3 inbuild server stuff was getting downloaded before the start of matches so I disconnected. Just being a little paranoid :p

What is OSP and CPMA?

I have registered for QL and tried a few games but I miss the old Quake 3 maps. I take it they are the baseq3 maps? So no one runs them any more? Shame. I loved them.

QL just doesn't feel the same as Q3. Does QL have any original maps and what is the premium subscription for?

Cheers.

Man of Honour
Why is that? I loved the popping sound.

Region reasons IIRC - some places like Germany its easier just to do that that try and work around regulations.

Upgraded your main rig I see, Rroff? You have good taste in ssd's, as do I. ;)

Bit of an early christmas present to myself as I'm doing lots of extra hours leading upto christmas - wasn't intending to do a new rig til nearer maxwell but at the prices Gibbo was throwing out it would have been rude not to :D

Ok. Cheers. I wasn't sure if the exploit was capable of infecting my PC, that is what I was worried about. When I was using the Quake 3 inbuild server stuff was getting downloaded before the start of matches so I disconnected. Just being a little paranoid :p

What is OSP and CPMA?

I have registered for QL and tried a few games but I miss the old Quake 3 maps. I take it they are the baseq3 maps? So no one runs them any more? Shame. I loved them.

QL just doesn't feel the same as Q3. Does QL have any original maps and what is the premium subscription for?

Cheers.

AFAIK it was only a problem from the server hosting side and not as a player.

OSP and CPMA were modifications of the game - OSP added loads of admin options, polished up the user experience, etc. to make it a bit more fluid and rounded out feature wise while keeping the original style of the game and CPMA was supposed to tweak the style for a more hardcore competitive game though I never liked it much myself, OSP was pretty much a must have though.

Last time I played most of the popular original Q3 maps were still played a lot in QL - you might need to hunt out the servers that play them in rotation with a regular crowd. Quake Live has moved away from the more gloomy, gritty feel of Q3 and towards a more esport style somewhat for a broader appeal they also tweaked the proportions of the player scale in relation to the maps and other stuff regarding movement speed and scale a bit to make it closer to more modern games in that regard which changes the feel a bit but personally I found I quickly stopped noticing that difference.

Last edited:
Soldato
OSP and CPMA were modifications of the game - OSP added loads of admin options, polished up the user experience, etc. to make it a bit more fluid and rounded out feature wise while keeping the original style of the game and CPMA was supposed to tweak the style for a more hardcore competitive game though I never liked it much myself, OSP was pretty much a must have though.

Last time I played most of the popular original Q3 maps were still played a lot in QL - you might need to hunt out the servers that play them in rotation with a regular crowd. Quake Live has moved away from the more gloomy, gritty feel of Q3 and towards a more esport style somewhat for a broader appeal they also tweaked the proportions of the player scale in relation to the maps and other stuff regarding movement speed and scale a bit to make it closer to more modern games in that regard which changes the feel a bit but personally I found I quickly stopped noticing that difference.

Cheers.

What is excessiveplus? Before some of the levels load this is trying to download and it's taking ages.

Cheers.

Man of Honour
Cheers.

What is excessiveplus? Before some of the levels load this is trying to download and it's taking ages.

Cheers.

Been awhile but I seem to remember it was an instagib mod (removes all weapon but railgun and makes it 1 hit kill). Might have other functionality its been too long heh.

Soldato
Been awhile but I seem to remember it was an instagib mod (removes all weapon but railgun and makes it 1 hit kill). Might have other functionality its been too long heh.

Just had a good session on Quake Live last night - classic maps too! I think your right - trying to get a good classic game using the Quake 3 CD install and browser is just not going to happen.

I think I will stick with Quake Live.

Caporegime
Aside from CS:S a good few years back now, I've never been a big multi-player gamer. I do, though, remember buying Q3 from Woolworths, not reading the description properly, and then getting home to discover that there was no sp campaign like in Q1 / Q2. :D :o It did look very nice, though. Just not something that would keep me entertained for long. :)

Man of Honour
Aside from CS:S a good few years back now, I've never been a big multi-player gamer. I do, though, remember buying Q3 from Woolworths, not reading the description properly, and then getting home to discover that there was no sp campaign like in Q1 / Q2. :D :o

The "single player" arena thing wasn't totally bad though a poor substitute for some real SP.

Caporegime
The "single player" arena thing wasn't totally bad though a poor substitute for some real SP.

Yeah, to be fair, I do recall being rather impressed with the ai of the enemy. I got some fun out it for a short amount of time, but in the end took it back - ahh, those were the days. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I would rather they never did quake live it killed q3 off. It would still have Small sceneOtherwise.

The scene moved to quakelive i dont get your point. Unless you are talking about random casual stuff that likely also moved but i wouldnt know about that. But all the good players and teams moved to quakelive there is no issue changing. Its basically the same game there is no learning curve over quake3.

Back
Top Bottom