Quake 4

HaX

HaX

Associate
I just popped into my local game and saw Special Edition Copies of Quake 4 going for £9.99. Even better, I could get two games of the same range for £15, so I also purchased Need for Speed Underground.

I've just been playing Quake 4 and it is brilliant. I used to play Quake 3 Arena back in the late 90s/early 00s. I had no idea Quake 4 had been released - and to be on the budget range already- what is going on?

Soldato
Quake 4's singleplayer is a VERY enjoyable experience - had me gripped from start to nearly-finish xD Unfortunately I lent it to my boss and I formatted it, so never finished it :(

-RaZ

Associate
The single player was good, way better than Doom3, thats for sure. The multiplayer was a bit iffy, but I guess that could be because my rig didn't exactly allow it to run fast. Its worth a tenner though, glad I didn't pay full price for mine. (Must have bought it around about December on the cheap from another shop, its been on the cheap for a while now).

Soldato
HaX said:
I had no idea Quake 4 had been released - and to be on the budget range already- what is going on?

Sadly, Quake has had its day. Q4 multiplayer is absolutely fantastic - easily as good as Q2 and Q3A (both of which I played for years) but nobody plays it. The few Quake-heads left mostly stick with Q3A.....and most people just prefer the BF2 style of game now. Pure and simple Quake style DM is a thing of the past....it's a crying shame. I'm lucky enough to have a couple of local Q4 servers here in the US where I can get a good game every night, otherwise I would have probably been forced to go back to Q3A.

The Q4 single player was hugely average, IMO. A good blast, but light years behind HL2, FarCry or FEAR.

HaX

HaX

Associate
OP
Well, been playing it some more, and I think it is great. It has renewed my interest in PC gaming.

I've been working in IT Support since 2002, and pretty much ever since, my interest in PCs at home has pretty much died.

Things may be making a change for the better as far as my PC is concerned....

Associate
Curio said:
Sadly, Quake has had its day. Q4 multiplayer is absolutely fantastic - easily as good as Q2 and Q3A (both of which I played for years) but nobody plays it. The few Quake-heads left mostly stick with Q3A.....and most people just prefer the BF2 style of game now. Pure and simple Quake style DM is a thing of the past....it's a crying shame. I'm lucky enough to have a couple of local Q4 servers here in the US where I can get a good game every night, otherwise I would have probably been forced to go back to Q3A.
I wouldn't really call it a thing of the past... remember the online FPS community is much larger now than it was in the days of Quakeworld, and although the vast majority play CSS or BF2 or whatever there's still a large number of quakeheads! I still play RA3 (haven't bought Q4 yet, waiting to upgrade my rig sometime in early 2007, and for RA4 to come out of course, before getting it) and I can always find a server to play on. But a large number of people moved to Q4, and between the hundreds of empty servers for both games the community is just too fragmented, so it seems small.
Another factor is that a lot of us are getting older and dont' have the reflexes for it anymore!:D I'm awful at RA3 these days, but I'm not bad at all in FEAR simply because it's a slower game - in fact, I mostly play FEAR to boost my confidence after I run into a server full of railgods in RA3 and get instagibbed within 2" of each round starting... :p

Soldato
I thought Q4 multiplayer was great, I used to play Q3 a lot but nowhere near as much as some of the 'hardcore' players.

Only reason I don't play it (Q4) is because i've gone off games in general. But I still disagree with those who say it's pants.

Associate
I'd say the multiplayer was good but its a bit bland now adays. All you can really do is run, jump and shoot along with the odd rocket trick. Maybe I just like UT2004 better with all of its movement tricks :p.

Associate
I really enjoyed it both multiplayer and single player. As others have said they were very reminiscent of the other quake games. I really enjoyed the simplicity of the single player, they didn’t try to push the storyline/setting/characters etc too much it was just a lot of run and gun, fast paced action. I found the multiplayer very reminiscent of q3 which suits me just fine. It really is a shame that there isn’t much of an audience for this type of game play anymore.

Soldato
Sweetloaf said:
This thread reminded me about Quake 4, while in town today I picked up a brand new copy for £4.97 I wasn't even looking for games at the time :cool:

This thread convinced me to buy Q4 the other day, was playing last night and was appalled at the performance!

.... until I updated my drivers! Only 20 days out of date, but it made a phenominal difference! Went up to high quality and was wowed at the difference - the graphics are everything I had expected after playing doom3 so much, but the gameplay was a big difference too!

In doom3 I could only play for short bursts, too much tension (im a sissy :p), but with Q4 I was pounding my way through filthy Stroggs for hours, non stop pace with a fun storyline... brilliant! :D

Soldato
It's a little reminiscent of Halo but far darker and with a greater sense of conflict IMO, The Hannibal landing is great, although my desire to get a closer look at the thing caused it to land on my head first time around :D

Associate
I think Q4 is an brilliant game and MP is excellent, reminds me of the Q2 DM days. Can't be doing with all this CSS and BF MP. Good old school deathmatch suits me fine :D

Back
Top Bottom