Quake I / EZ-Quake

Soldato
Been very bored with all my games recently, went out to buy one as well and couldnt find anything I liked...

So I dug out my old copy of Quake I and installed EZ-Quake (Thanks to someone in the screenshot thread who posted a screenshot of it)

Ahh The memories, just finshed off a long session of Quake, Not only does EZ-Quake allow you to run Quake within XP, but adds Open GL to the game. It looks like the Quake 2 engine.

Just thought I'd point it out to anyone with a Quake fetish ;) Who has not come across it yet.

They dont make Games like this anymore.

_th_torches_fog_nailsparks.jpg
_th_part_zap.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
markyb said:
They dont make Games like this anymore.

Quoted for the truth

I did the same with Fuhquake a cppl of years ago. Brought back some great memories. Killed a few hours watching all my old clan demos too, great fun.

Man of Honour
#quakeworld on Quakenet IRC is a good place to go for anyone having any problems getting Quake set up.

Check out ftp://gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk/store2/blueyondergames/trailers/movies/quakeworld/ if you want to see some movies from QW.

The sad thing is despite being 10 years old, QW is still ahead of many modern games in terms of technology thanks to the updates it has received. The netcode is fantastic, especially with the ability to use qizmo for re-routing. The console/scripting system is very powerful, you can create complex aliases including IF-THEN-ELSE type statements. You can use advanced 'autotracking' features when spectating or watching MultiView Demos to automatically switch POVs to players with powerups, best weapons etc. It's got automated demo recording/naming (including caching to RAM so you get zero hd access), fully customisable screenshot/movie making, heck, you can even write straight to xvid if you want. I could literally sit here all night giving examples.

Apart from graphics/physics, ezquake is (ironically) arguably one of the most advanced FPS out there.

Associate
markyb said:
Not only does EZ-Quake allow you to run Quake within XP, but adds Open GL to the game.
mmm, Quake/Quakeworld has always been able to run on XP. Also glQuake/QW was one of the first proper openGL games out there (Carmack did the GL rendering versions in early-mid '97).

That being said, ezQuake is quite a nifty client what with the integrated server browser and other nice stuff :)

Back
Top Bottom