• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Quake II revisited with titan XP lol

Associate
For a laugh I thought I would revisit one of my favourite games I played on a PC , I thought wow amazing GFX at that time.

Quake II, my PC looked like this and 45fps demanding game.

Pentium 11 450 MHz Abit BH6 M/B and 64 meg of ram and 2 voodoo II cards scan lined together, replaced by SLi with creative sound card and CRT 17" monitor. a dial up 56k Zoom modem. I think it was freeserve my isp at the time.

With my trusty Netscape browser, this PC was the daddy lol the voodoo2 cards cost about £200 plus at the time. the CPU was £400 top of the range lol

well last night I saw it on steam for £1.60 so thought yea why not see how it plays now lol I didn't record the frame rate but I wasn't struggling for GFX power. but still remembered parts of the game lol although is does look a bit strange compared to modern PC games.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The engine falls apart at around 500fps IIRC - you can bind a key to timerefresh to do a quick benchmark.

Still probably my favourite game of all time.

Man of Honour
Heh cool - I've got a little project I still work on from time to time that is basically a guild wars style version of the game (complete with a custom game world in the style of the original) - plus put back in some of the missing attacks and animations like the berserker jump slam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqVeIKY6-2w

enhanced the AI so they will jump obstacles to get you etc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2M-FEn8Rys

(Funny thing is most of the monsters have animations or unused animations that can be reused for jumping, falling over and getting back up, etc.)

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just downloaded this on Steam (took 3 seconds to download in Steam on 1Gb fibre :D)

I still remember the commands to run the bench from all those years ago;
timedemo 1
map demo1.dm2

853fps on default openGL, 1024 x 768. I remember being happy with 25fps back in the day playing on 800 x 600

Man of Honour
Sadly don't think the steam version has the original soundtrack which is half of what made the experience IMO.

Soldato
I've just downloaded this on Steam (took 3 seconds to download in Steam on 1Gb fibre :D)

I still remember the commands to run the bench from all those years ago;
timedemo 1
map demo1.dm2

853fps on default openGL, 1024 x 768. I remember being happy with 25fps back in the day playing on 800 x 600

Now we just need an 800hz display for it.

Caporegime
Last edited:
Caporegime
Fortunately I have a few copies of the original CD (and a mountable image that plays the music).

Fair enough, though I think the patch is probably the best option as it has other improvements like a FOV slider/better sized HUD, and so on.

Soldato
Quake 2 was amazing! My favorite arena shooter to date, so many hours plowed into duel/TDM/CTF on Wireplay/Barrysworld.

I remember paying for barrysworld dial up when I wanted a 100 ping instead of my normal 160 ping :)

I even remember going to Chester to a Lan, was a very enjoyable time, Now I could not be arsed to pack my PC up let alone goto Chester, The joys of aging.

Back
Top Bottom