Quality of Razor mice?

Soldato
Always been a fan of Razor, mainly because I bought a Razer Diamondback limited edition plasma and the thing last me 15 years, was the best mouse I've ever had.

Since then I have had several Razor mice, mostly the wired deathadders.

Both mine lasted less than 2 years, I managed to get a replacement under warranty, my son got the same one and that one lasted just over 2 years, the mouse wheel on my replacement, maybe hmmm, 6 months later is already starting to give false inputs.

Have a just been unlucky? Are the Deathadder series just not great? Or is the quality of Razer stuff slipping?

Associate
I was always team Razer - had razer keyboard, various deathadders, diamondblacks and even copperhead that lasted me 8 years I think. Then went endgame - which build quality is much better than razer - but it started double clicking after 3 years, so went back to Razer - Deathadder v3 - quality? I think razer don't know what quality is. Wheel needed "firmware update" to stop it selfspinning or whatever was happening there - I have a jump on wheel in games and I've used to jump randomly after week of playing. Battery is very poor - I'm not gaming more than 1-2h a day and it needs charge every other week or so.

So now I know that I won't be going Razer anymore when I'll finish this one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Pretty much the same, started with a Boomslang many many years ago, then a Diamondback Chromoflair and finally a Deathadder, you could almost see the quality between them dropping, weaker cables, squishy clicks and the mouse wheel especially seemed to be made of Jelly.

Switched to Steelseries a good few years ago and the two I have had have been excellent, I'm no fanboy so I'll use anything though.

Soldato
I've had about 8 different Razer products over about 15 years or so.

1 headset broke (could have been my heavy handling)

1 razer mouse, a screen came completely loose inside and you can hear it rattle. Never been dropped or hit.

Other than that, always been please with their stuff. Currently using a Deathadder x Hyperspeed

Soldato
I've tried a couple of Razer mice and found them less than impressive, I felt they had very poor build quality and that they were on the flimsy side. A Deathadder I bought was entirely non-functional within a week, the NAGA I briefly owned did seem better build wise but some of the side buttons stopped working after roughly a month.

I pretty much stick to Logitech exclusively now.

I have heard positive things about their keyboards, but I'm not willing to take a chance on them when there's a number of companies that can offer me a pretty much guaranteed good experience. Their audio equipment I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, a friend of mine owns a Blackshark V2 which sound awful to me. For the money he spent he could have picked up a vastly superior stereo headset.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Had a couple of Razer headsets, both failed after 18 months or so. Definitely a company that trades on their name and marketing. both headsets were around £70 or so, both didn’t feel like they cost that much.

Soldato
I’ve had a few deathadders over the years and both died within 1-2 years. Never again! Shame as they are great mice comfort wise

Soldato
Have had two deathadders over the last few years and both have developed scroll wheel issues within months, annoying as they were comfortable mice, never got around to following up with warranty due to house move and life stuff.

Soldato
OP
Seems going from these posts it's more specific to Deathadders rather than their mice in general or brand overall.

As said earlier always quite likes Razor stuff generally.

Shame because on the face of it the Deathadders are great and cost effective mice but seems let down by quality.

Soldato
Must be going on 10 years since i bought a deathadder. I dropped it once from a desk about 3ft high onto a soft carpet and it broke, so that was the end of that. I then switched to cheaper brands and find them to be just as good

Soldato
Its like logitech mice, they have gone down the pan somewhat, as nothing has come close to the MX1000.. There was a new mx1000 on the bay for £50 and I was tempted to buy it, but the battery would need replacing Im guessing.. So I have been using the mx700 for a few yrs, basically the same as the great mx815 but cordless(I also have a new 1 unused if anyones interested)...

I have just bought the MX Master 2s as I fancied a changed and its ok, not great though as there's too much of a hump between your thumb and first finger for my liking.. And apparently the Master 3s is even more uncomfortable as its slightly taller, so more of a hump.

Permabanned
Owned a death adder, lasted about a year, but company's can bounce back, currently own a Razor Basiilsk V3 or something and suitable surface this mouse rocks, couple of years old maybe its showing no sign
s of decay, love it

Associate
I have 2 Naga trinity mice. Both have had the double click issue which meant I have replaced the microswitches. One of the ones that failed was already an RMA from the previous that did the same so cut out the middle man and fixed them myself.
For me the qulity of Razer stuff is terrible, don't get me started on how cheap and nasty thier keycaps are.

Soldato
Its like logitech mice, they have gone down the pan somewhat, as nothing has come close to the MX1000.. There was a new mx1000 on the bay for £50 and I was tempted to buy it, but the battery would need replacing Im guessing.. So I have been using the mx700 for a few yrs, basically the same as the great mx815 but cordless(I also have a new 1 unused if anyones interested)...

I have just bought the MX Master 2s as I fancied a changed and its ok, not great though as there's too much of a hump between your thumb and first finger for my liking.. And apparently the Master 3s is even more uncomfortable as its slightly taller, so more of a hump.
I bought a Logitech MX518 legendary to replace my G400. Way more expensive (£76) and somehow felt cheaper to me. The size and pointer dpi also felt different.

I repaired my G400 using the usb wire from an old Dell mouse and bought some new mouse skates for £6. Good as new. Also found and purchased new old stock of the G400. £50 but I guess at some point my G400 thats over 10 years old will fully die. MX518 is going to be returned today.

If you find a good mouse that lasts and you like it, buy 2 :)

Associate
I've had 2 Deathadders. The rubber coating came off the first one after 3-5 years (can't remember) but aside from my daughter's rabbit chewing through the USB cable it was fine otherwise. This current one has been too.

Associate
I had many gaming mice including Razer : Deathadder (1st one ) , Mamba , Naga. Razer always had a decent mouse lineup. I'm not really a fan of them anymore. Many of their products has very average ( or even below ) lifespan. You do also pay extra for their branding. The key question is what kind of games you like to play. I play mainly strategy and FPS games. For this purpose Roccat Tyon is my absolute favourite based on many aspects but especially extra button layout. I don't think Roccat makes those anymore though.

Back
Top Bottom