'Queer girl with a nose ring' . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
. . . rocks the Last Night of the Proms. (BBC Online)

I have to say that despite watching the Last Night of the Proms on BBC2 and BBC1 last night I hadn't realised either that the US mezzo-soprano was bisexual or that she had a nose ring.

Jamie Barton is certainly somewhat overweight, has a terrific smile and an amazing voice but I really can't see why she should be held up as some sort of Gay icon by the BBC - perhaps it is to distract attention from the awful display of nationalism which is kinda unfashionable at the moment?
Before she came on for somewhere over the rainbow. There was a pre recorded interview with her and literally the first sentence out of her mouth contained “... I’m queer ...”.

Is this the new veganism where the old joke “how do you know someone’s a vegan? They’ll tell you, again and again and again”.

Will be replaced with “how do you know someone’s not straight?”

She’s a good singer, didn’t particularly like her somewhere over the rainbow. Her rule Britannia was very good though.

Man of Honour
Shock horror... there's non straight people performing at the Proms.

I wonder if there was any there when I saw a Rogers and Hammerstein musical evening (with all the songs from Oklahoma) at the Proms a few years ago?

The headline is Bartons description of herself I believe. For for reason we all need to know her sexual preferences and she weirdly feels her singing is connected.

Quoted from linked article:
"It's not just queer pride, it's a connective celebration of people being exactly who they are and loving who they are. And I'm honoured to get to lead that."

It's nothing to do with queer pride, or who people are, it's everything to do with her voice and performance.

Caporegime
It'd be rather difficult to just ignore it, especially considering it was only in 1967 that it was decriminalised (technically women were never criminalised in the first place), it is it's on culture and to ignore that, especially when the singer feel's it necessary to talk about it, would appear to me to be aggravated.

The headline was pointless though, it should really be about her performance and not her cultural identity.

Man of Honour
Tbf this seems like BBC steered thing more than a her thing.

They really are going turbo on this at the moment.

Oh actually, maybe not. Waving the pride flag, I see. I mean... all the diversity stuff is good but it’s really quite heavily promoted now. Maybe I just have no idea how these people must feel on a day to day basis.

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
OP
On a faintly related front, I believe that there was a "Trans Pride" march the other day - on the basis that some trans people feel they are sidelined in the LGBT community. :D

Ah yeah, HERE it is.

Whatever became of the late lamented "People's Front of Judea" :confused:

Caporegime
Shock horror... there's non straight people performing at the Proms.
Literally no one cares. I'm sure there are loads of LGBT performers.

What irritates is that now everything is an opportunity to advertise your sexuality.

"Before I begin my performance, I just want everybody to know my sexual preference."

I couldn't get away with that, so why should she?

Caporegime
If she announces her sexuality as LBGT it doesn't really matter how she performs as she'll get huge acclaim regardless. Politics pervades everything nowadays as long as you conform to the collectivist Borg-like groupthink and politically correct ideology you'll be treated well by the corporate media who push it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom