1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about 975X chipset

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by Sharkypal, 9 May 2006.

1. Sharkypal

PermaBanned

If I buy the Asus P5WD2-E, is that compatible with Conroe?

Cheers

S

2. AWPC

Capodecina

No-one knows or if they do is not telling yet.

I have the Asus P5WD2-Premium (not E) and that is only 955X chipset but may still work as it can accept the new 965EE CPU even though that is supposed to be 975X platform only.

I suspect officially the answer will be no as Asus + intel will want to shift new Conroe ready mobos but unofficially maybe yes as there are plenty of users out there now who can & do mod bioses all the time.

To be safe you need to wait like everyone else (should only be another month or so).

Only confirmed Conroe ready mobo so far is Intels own 975 badaxe but even that has not been confirmed as Conroe ready for the production unit.

3. Sharkypal

PermaBanned

Hey there,

Cheers for your insight.

I may just go for an Athlon based PC now then. Was going to get a 960 and the same mobo you have but with the uncertainty surrounding Conroe, Ill make the decision to "go" Intel when the chip is actually available. From what I've read it definitely looks like Intel is about to make a comeback!

S

4. drunknmunky

Gangster

Source

;)

5. Sharkypal

PermaBanned

I suspected as much ... thanks for the confirmation mate!

S