Question About Air Filters

Associate
With carb bikes I seem to remember that if you fitted a K&N air filter you'd get more airflow and would probably have to alter the jets to suit. I'm assuming fuel injection bikes will just compensate accordingly on the fly?
Anyway, my Caponord 1200 is booked in for it's 12k service soon. Is it worth upgrading to a K&N air filter do you think, or just going with stock?

Man of Honour
With carb bikes I seem to remember that if you fitted a K&N air filter you'd get more airflow and would probably have to alter the jets to suit. I'm assuming fuel injection bikes will just compensate accordingly on the fly?
Anyway, my Caponord 1200 is booked in for it's 12k service soon. Is it worth upgrading to a K&N air filter do you think, or just going with stock?
Injection engines will alter the fuelling to compensate.

What are you trying to achieve?

Associate
OP
Injection engines will alter the fuelling to compensate.

What are you trying to achieve?
I'm not actually trying to achieve anything, I'm happy enough with how the bike runs. I had it dyno'd 2-3 years ago to try to improve low-down fuelling & restore some of the missing horses compared to the factory specs.
Just wondering if there's any point in fitting a different filter that's all. My head says no. Just wondering what others think.

Man of Honour
I'm not actually trying to achieve anything, I'm happy enough with how the bike runs. I had it dyno'd 2-3 years ago to try to improve low-down fuelling & restore some of the missing horses compared to the factory specs.
Just wondering if there's any point in fitting a different filter that's all. My head says no. Just wondering what others think.
Foam filters are a faff. They require cleaning and some need to be oiled too if operated in dusty environments. OEM filters can just be chucked in the bin and a new one installed. They can enable more air flow but that doesn’t always translate into more power in the right part of the rev range. I find they tend to upset the balance of the factory maps. They have their place on tuned engines but otherwise I wouldn’t bother.

Associate
OP
Foam filters are a faff. They require cleaning and some need to be oiled too if operated in dusty environments. OEM filters can just be chucked in the bin and a new one installed. They can enable more air flow but that doesn’t always translate into more power in the right part of the rev range. I find they tend to upset the balance of the factory maps. They have their place on tuned engines but otherwise I wouldn’t bother.
Cool, thanks for your advice, that's what I thought, I'll leave it as stock.
It's gonna be expensive enough as it is for a 10+ hour service to strip it back to the valves that most likely won't need adjusting anyway. Oh the joys of Aprilia :)

Back
Top Bottom