Question about billing addresses

Associate
Just gotta quick question about getting stuff delivered to me.

Basically, I want to get stuff sent to my university term time address but Ocuk won't send unless its to my debit cards address (my home address). Other palces accept multiple addresses so I can get it sent here but my question is this

Do I have to add the address to the debit card (ie go into natwest and add it), because my flat mate said that this has to be done. I'm not so sure and I want to make sure before I try ordering of this other site :)

Cheers

Soldato
You can only have one billing address, for OcUK its a matter of choice that they do not deliver to other addresses, basically if you want stuff sent to your (uni?) addy you have to change your address.

KaHn

Associate
OP
so what is a billing address, is it where the bill gets sent and then the rest is sent on to me? Basically, at this other store, I can add a new address. Just wanting to make sure if I add my current address to that tonight and order, im not gonna get any problems.

The guy on ocuk phone said that it can only be sent to the cards billing address (ie the one the card is registered with at the bank i presume)

Soldato
The main reason small companies such as ocuk wont deliver to non bill addresses is fraud pure and simple. It costs a lot of money in insurance and even the manpower to check each order to avoid being stung that its simply not worth it unless you can easily afford it.

I imagine in a few years when ocuk is bigger they may well decide the time is right and the demand great enough to look at setting up a system to do this sort of thing. I used to work for a large reseller in the dept that dealt with security checks so im well used to the hassle it can be. Lots of phoning and checking and such to confirm the identity of people before shipping orders and stuff.... very time consuming and its not something that makes a company money unless they are losing a lot of orders because of it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I seem to remember ordering from OcUK in the past and getting it delivered to a non billing address, maybe this was a mistake or oversight though.

I don't think its checked very thoroughly though, i recently ordered a new laptop for a considerable amount of money, except my phone cut out halfway through giving my billing address, so the delivery address was used by the company instead, card was accepted no problem. I also bought something off one of OcUKs competitors last night with a mastercard which was put through authentication; it got to a screen saying my card was authorised but did not go through visas secure system as it wasn't a visa card.....umm actually it was dear chaps, the authorisation they put it through was i assume, just to check that they could draw funds from it.

So much for card security, makes me feel so happy in case my card ever gets stolen.

Soldato
chimaera said:
I seem to remember ordering from OcUK in the past and getting it delivered to a non billing address, maybe this was a mistake or oversight though.

It depends on the order and the cards history. I've had OcUK stuff delivered to the non-billing address before however when I came to buy my TFT I used a card that I hadn't used with OcUK before. Given the value of the order and the fact that I'd never ordered from them with that card before they wouldn't ship to any address other than the billing address.

As I wanted it sending to work I ended up ordering from elsewhere instead.

Permabanned
Cookie-Monster said:
a lot of vendors will also insist on sending the first order to the billing address to guarantee it is legit and any subsequent orders can go to any address.

That might be the case here.

I've ordered lots of OCuk stuiff to my home address, but recently, for convenience, i've strted having it delivered to work, with no problems at all....

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
yep for OcUK your first delivery has to be the billing address, others after that can be to a different address.

Soldato
Wierd. I've just ordered some goods and they are being sent to my work address. I think it's only the first order that has to go to your billing address after that it should be fine.

Soldato
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but do OcUK let you know (and give you the opportunity to cancel) before shipping if they won't delivery to an alternate shipping address? I want to order some things to be sent to me at uni, but I don't want to buy only to find out that they will ship it all to my billing address (ie. at home) without giving me prior warning.......

Associate
OP
they sent me a e-mail saying what the problem was and that I could cancel yeah. They did take the money from me first though! Got it back 2 days later lol.

Caporegime
A2Z said:
yep for OcUK your first delivery has to be the billing address, others after that can be to a different address.

That's correct, I had 3 different orders sent to my uni address on 3 different occasions this academic year. You can do it, just the first one has to be sent to home. If you really want to, why not get something cheap and sent it home and then sent the other order to uni?

Back
Top Bottom