Question about OEM OS as i'm thinking of upgrading to new cpu and motherboard

Associate
Hi, I'm planning on upgrading my PC after 5 years and wanted a clear answer on a quick question.
I have an OEM version of windows 10 on my current SSD. Once i install the new motherboard and CPU with the SSD and boot it, will it just ask for a new activation code for windows and keep all my stuff on the SSD?

May sound like a dumb question i just want to make sure so i know if i just have to get a new activation code or if i'll have to reinstall the OS.

Thank You

Associate
From what i believe you will need to reinstall your OS apon installing a new motherboard and CPU as for your Activation code im sure its linked to windows 10 just make sure you have signed in on your windows 10 PC and your code will be linked to that account, Once you reinstall windows 10 with the new Motherboard and CPU you will just need to sign in with your windows 10 account

Associate
Disagree somewhat with the above. In Microsoft's view, an OEM licence is per PC. Swapping out board and chip is essentially a new PC and your Windows 10 will most likely ask for a new code as the old one is tied to your old board. As I understand it, a retail licence could be transferred over to the new components.

Some have allegedly just called Microsoft up and explained that their board died so they had to replace it and Microsoft, again allegedly, allowed reactivation.

I'd just buy another OEM licence as they're really cheap anyway.

Man of Honour
Disagree somewhat with the above. In Microsoft's view, an OEM licence is per PC. Swapping out board and chip is essentially a new PC and your Windows 10 will most likely ask for a new code as the old one is tied to your old board. As I understand it, a retail licence could be transferred over to the new components.

Some have allegedly just called Microsoft up and explained that their board died so they had to replace it and Microsoft, again allegedly, allowed reactivation.

I'd just buy another OEM licence as they're really cheap anyway.
Agreed, just done this recently, the automatic activation system didn't work so I had to call and speak to a real live human being :p

All was activated in less than 5 minutes :)

Soldato
Done it before sometimes works fine other time I need to ring but they always do it in my experince. They don't technically have to though with oem keys

Back
Top Bottom