Question about sky wireless modem/router

Associate
I'm moving over to sky for broadband and having gotten the modem/router (sagemcom f@st 2504N) and I have some questions.

1. Are the yellow marked ports the only ones that can be connected to computers and games consoles

2. If the answer to 1 is yes can I just change some settings on my current router (netgear WGR614) and use it as a switch

3. Can the wireless security settings on the sky modem/router be dropped to WEP (because that's all the nintendo DS supports) or can I just keep the wireless on the already mentioned router on and use that.

Soldato
1: Nope but the Sky Anytime+ service *should* be connected to the blue port.
2: Yes no probs, but a switch would be even easier.
3: Yes and Yes if you want. Though WEP is pretty insecure and do you really need wireless on a DS?

Associate
OP
1: Nope but the Sky Anytime+ service *should* be connected to the blue port.
2: Yes no probs, but a switch would be even easier.
3: Yes and Yes if you want. Though WEP is pretty insecure and do you really need wireless on a DS?

1. The only way the sky anytime+ service can be connected is either by a 30m cable or powerline so I'm guessing I can still use that port for something else.
2. I'm a bit cash strapped at the moment so a switch is out of the question although my plans for my bedroom requires adding a few switches to the network.
3. Of course I do as there are games I use that require internet connectivity, but if the sky modem/router can be set to WEP and all the ports can be used then I won't need the router to act as a wired/wireless switch (plus considering the amount of wireless connections there are around where I live using WEP security would be better then having a unsecure wireless connection that anyone can jump onto).

Soldato
You can buy a Sky wireless connector - there was one for sale on here recently. I've never tried connecting my box to another port as I have a 24 port switch. WEP is ok, just not greatly secure.

Associate
OP
Update on things (since I'm now using the sky broadband connection).

I've gotten a 5 port switch to connect most of the devices to and I'll be moving the netgear wireless router into the living room (once I've disabled DCHP or whatever it's called) since there's a computer in there and it will extend the wireless range (although it'll be under a different SSID) and the settings on the sky modem/router will remain unchanged (although if the netgear router does pack up I have a linksys E1000 as a backup as long as I can fix the connection issues).

Back
Top Bottom