Question about tips in restaurants

Associate
I just wondered, when you tip in most restaurants does the money go to the waiter/waitress? I don’t normally have cash so I normally tip on the chip pin gadget thing, it’d just be nice to know the money went to the workers.

Oh yeah, and how much do people normally tip? Mine is about £2-3 depending on the service, is that stingy? Some things you just don’t learn in school lol :)

Associate
It depends, some restaurants compile all the tips... others let the waiters/waitresses keep them.

I had this dilema where we went for a chinese buffet, 18 quid for all you can eat...

Obviously you want at least one drink, which is gonna be ~1.50-2 quid.

Now I only tip with whats left over from my change, so in this case we all put 20 quid notes in, 20p was left for tip...

They gave GREAT service, and tbh was worth tipping...but I cant afford it, so im glad im not in america or like spain or whatever...where you have to tip

Soldato
Standard is around 10% of your bill which is weird - I never tip in the places that 'include' service charges.

Not sure if it does actually go to the staff if you use chip and pin - probably goes to the company sadly...

Soldato
It should always go to the waiter/waitress although whether it goes to the one person serving you or into a pot to be shared equally depends on the restaurant and what they decide.

Didn't know you could tip on a card though so I'm not sure how that would work. Even if I pay a bill on a card I'd leave the tip in cash.

Associate
OP
Yeah, you just ask and it says something like "enter gratitude" or something.

I normally try and tip the pizza delivery person, but sometimes they stumble around getting the change, makes me feel guilty everytime I just say keep it lol.

Associate
it depends on the company, at the resturant i used to work at, if sumone left a tip on there credit card, we just added the tip to the bill and charged it all to the card, and took the amount left for tip out of the till and put it in the tip jar. but at the hotel i now work at, any tips left via credit card just go straight to the company and are never seen by us staff.

Soldato
Usually leave a couple of quid, say 3 on a 10 quid order or a fiver on a 20 etc..Always tip food delivery people, usually 10-15%, my pizza gets here in record time, and my cafe always gets my food to me pronto even when busy.

Associate
OP
geuben said:
it depends on the company, at the resturant i used to work at, if sumone left a tip on there credit card, we just added the tip to the bill and charged it all to the card, and took the amount left for tip out of the till and put it in the tip jar. but at the hotel i now work at, any tips left via credit card just go straight to the company and are never seen by us staff.
That's really bad, I only tip if I get good service and I always thought it went to the staff :(

Associate
I have a feeling that if you were to leave a tip using your debit/credit card then the money would probably end up in the pockets of the company, could be wrong though.

As for the tip itself, I'm not an automatic tipper! Plenty of times I have been out for a meal and the person doing the serving has been acting like they really couldnt give a toss about you or your food. Usually some spotted student type with an attitude...they get sweet F.A.

On the other hand, someone who actually puts in the effort to give a good service i.e smiles, is polite, talks a bit, checks up on how things are going once every while, they will get a tip without a problem.

As for how much, that usually depends on the final cost of the meal.

Associate
I only tip more than 1/2 quid when the waiter gets me something free, without me asking.

We had this guy dubbed "legend waiter" at pizza hut once,

he gave us all free salad bowls, free drinks and took money of out meal (and we dont really know him, just used to see him around college...not on talking terms). He also gave great service... so we tipped him handsomly

Need more ppl like that... Pizza hut got used to us though and we kept getting more and more free things since we were there every week. They used to lend us spoons and stuff for tubs of ben and jerries while at the cinema, knowing we'd bring them back

Man of Honour
some goes to your waiter, some are split between all workers.

Usually tip £0. Tipping is not mandatory,It should be given for exemplary service. Which most places full way under. However if the service is very good I will tip.

Soldato
i tip sometimes, although once when service was particularly bad and they had automatically added 10% to the bill it got scrubbed out and deducted.

Man of Honour
daven1986 said:
i tip sometimes, although once when service was particularly bad and they had automatically added 10% to the bill it got scrubbed out and deducted.

I've done that loads of times, Even ripped the receipt in half before LOL

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I only tip these days if I was particularly impressed by the service or if I particularly fancied the waitress :D

I actually tip quite regularly in our local restaurants, I'm impressed by the quality of the staff and the service. It's normally only pocket change because I'm broke/stingy but it's the thought that counts.

Last edited:
Permabanned
theMAD2 said:
I just wondered, when you tip in most restaurants does the money go to the waiter/waitress? I don’t normally have cash so I normally tip on the chip pin gadget thing, it’d just be nice to know the money went to the workers.

Oh yeah, and how much do people normally tip? Mine is about £2-3 depending on the service, is that stingy? Some things you just don’t learn in school lol :)

It really does depend on the establishment. Some places it goes solely to the person you tip, others split between all waiting staff and yet again some others split between the waiting staff and kitchen staff.

Giving a tip by credit card is 50/50 whether your waiter/waitress will get it at all. Places like City Centre Restaraunts chain (Frankie & Bennies, Chiquito's etc) tally up the CC tips and add them to the individual employees wages that get paid into the bank. Although they have a weird method of using tills. Touch screen tills with no cash drawer, all the cash/cheques/CC slips etc get kept on the waiter/waitress person till the end of the night. A tally up is done from the till at closing time and the waiting staff keep whatever is over and above what the till says they have to hand over. Some great tips in those restaraunts, i used to earn £100+ a night at the weekend and around £40-£50 an night during the week. Very handy when your a skint student, well not so skint after that :D

Beware tipping in dodgy little indian restaraunts though, the owners of those dont usually like letting the waiting staff keep them. Ask your waiter if in doubt in those kind of places ;)

Soldato
AcidHell2 said:
some goes to your waiter, some are split between all workers.

Usually tip £0. Tipping is not mandatory,It should be given for exemplary service. Which most places full way under. However if the service is very good I will tip.

You sound like Mr Pink :p

Permabanned
One other point. In some places you will see the service charge on your bill of anywhere between 5% and 10% this is NOT mandatory no matter what they tell you. In fact it's illegal for them to force the issue ;)

Back
Top Bottom