Question - changing sprockets

Soldato
what year R1?

if its an early one the speedo drive may pick up off the front sprocket, if its a later fuel injected one i think there might be a sensor that picks up off the gearbox?

go down 1 on the front and you'll increase acceleration no end with a slight loss on top speed (but seriously where can you get to 150+ regularly!).

Soldato
OP
what year R1?

if its an early one the speedo drive may pick up off the front sprocket, if its a later fuel injected one i think there might be a sensor that picks up off the gearbox?

go down 1 on the front and you'll increase acceleration no end with a slight loss on top speed (but seriously where can you get to 150+ regularly!).

It's a 2007 model.

It would be nice on the TLGP not to have to feather the clutch all the time.... erm, I mean, commuting through town :D

Soldato
1 down on the front is always a nice simple little mod. gives you a nice little boost and your bike will still be good enough for 150mph. Not done it on the duc yet but I will soon. My bro did it to his SP1 just the other week, feels like a new bike.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the input everyone, I’ve ordered a 16 tooth front, was bidding on a speedo healer v4 on the bay, but it was heading towards almost new price money, so decided to just buy a new one – off to order that now :)

Looking forward to it now!

Soldato
OP
Wel,, I did it, and here’s some random photos:

New sprocket
2yv2g6r.jpg

Old one in situ
2bz7si.jpg

Rear is looking ok
iqbr50.jpg

Most extreme work I've done before!
16hqetz.jpg

Speedohealer fitted
fawx3p.jpg

Bloody marvellous mod! The bike feels completely different now, more stable somehow, and far more comfortable around town now that I don’t have to feather the clutch so much, can even ride around town in third!

There were no air bases open to find out what the top speed was, but I do know that first gear has had about 20mph lopped off of it – does 85 now.

Only problem I have now is that the Acumen gear indicator doesn’t work, it wont learn the gears now for some reason, I’ve tried every combination under the tank – speed sensor > DG8 > SH > ECU and vice-versa, but it wont program :( Oh well, back to remembering what gear I’m in I suppose; did about 100 odd miles today and didn’t have many issues with 7th gear etc :D

Soldato
Hmm, a bit tempted to try this on my GSX-R now, don't really know if it's worth it mind you due to me moving abroad to Germany, and not taking it with me right away heh.

How much top speed am I likely to loose if I drop a tooth on the front sprocket on a 750 K1?

Soldato
yeah but we wasnt on about that
i was saying that you get about the same top speed drop

And I'm saying this will only happen if your back sprocket happens to have twice as many teeth as the front - unlikely in most cases.

e.g. for my bike the standard is 44/15 giving a ratio of 2.93:1. Dropping one tooth from the front gives 44/14=3.14:1, adding two teeth to the rear gives 46/15=3.06:1. I'd need to put three extra teeth on the rear to give roughly the same gearing as losing one from the front.

Back
Top Bottom