Question on updating Dapper to Edgy

Associate
Hi

If i update using the package manager does it competely overwrite everything?

e.g. my xorg stuff is screwed up because i have tried getting XGL to run and have edited so many files etc - will an upgrade sort things out or will the files ai edited and even created still be there?

Also - i have installed codec's etc - will these still be there?

many thanks

Diss

Una

Una

Associate
Doing a dist-upgrade will update all your stuff to the edgy versions. Most of the packages are newer than the dapper ones so it will overwrite pretty much everything. However your config files in /etc/ will stay the same unless it specifically needs to change them. I don't know that much about XGL but I would guess this would be similar. I tried a dist-upgrade to knot2 a few weeks ago and it really screwed up my system (dependancies), your best off with a fresh install from an edgy iso.

Your codecs "should" still be there, but if the media package is updated it might need a different version.

Associate
OP
thanks una

so if i do a full install from a live CD evrything gets wiped - including my data in my home directory?

i assume it will recognise my partitions on my dual boot and use those? Only i don't want to screw up my windows installation.

thanks

Diss

Back
Top Bottom