Questions re deploying and managing tablets

ajf

ajf

Soldato
We are currently starting to look at deploying around 30-40 tablets within the company.
No specifics have been decided yet, but most likely to be iPads or Windows 8 tablets.
At the moment it is 50/50 as they both have positives and negatives.

What we need to be able to do is:

Remotely lock and wipe devices.
Remotely deploy commercial 'appstore' apps if required.**
Restrict access to appstores for personal purchases.
Remotely push files to the devices, such as brochures and presentations.

I am sure all the above can be done but need some help on how! I have looked at some of the MDM solutions but they all seem very vague in the literature about exactly what they do!

**Re apps - how would we bulk purchase an app and deploy? As I put above we want to lock out personal store purchases so it needs to be some kind of central account/solution.
I think Apple do this, but what about the Windows Appstore?

Thanks
Andrew

Associate
When we looked at solutions for ipads you couldn't stop the user over-riding any settings you applied, the systems would report the over-ride but could do nothing about it - Apple philosophy :/

Is this still the case ?

Last edited:
Soldato
AppSense MobileNow might be worth a look

If you are a Citrix house they have a solution too now (was demo'd at Synergy), might already be in your enterprise agreement :)

Applications are usually sectioned off into a 'managed apps' folder which is encrypted and has access to your corporate devices.
Sadly it doesnt wrap apps off the store because of Apple's policies so I am afraid you would need to host and push apps yourself

Last edited:
Permabanned
Sophos have a new bit of software called mobile control which can do remote lock, application management.

Supports android, ios and i think windows phone.

We have just purchased 100 licenses for mobile control for one site but i have not set it up yet. But few weeks ago i went to sophos conference and saw the software in action and it looks ok. They also have a SaaS version of the same software which is a bit more expensive.

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/mobile/mobile-control.aspx

Soldato
Anyone able to give an idea of how much all these solutions cost roughly? The impression i get from the mobileiron site is that it's probably insanely expensive but i need to find a solution like this sooner rather than later i think.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the feedback.
Just having a look at some of the suggestions now.
Re Configmgr 2012 and Intune, are they actually both needed or can Intune do it all if we only want to manage mobile devices, even if they are full Win8 ones?

They seem very similar in concept at first glance apart from the area they are aimed at - internal or mobile.

The Citrix one looks OK and I have read something about it previously so maybe look a little closer and get a demo maybe.

As we haven't really decided the final OS type this will I think make a difference to what we use anyway.

PAz

PAz

Soldato
You can do it just with intune if you only really want to manage your mobile devices :)

ConfigMgr as well means you can also manage all your on premise systems and get that big picture of your estate.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
OP
Just a quick query.
I was going to have a look at Intune and have a Technet subscription.
I cannot seem to find Intune at all listed in the downloads.

Is it available as a separate product or should I be looking for it as part of another package?

Seems odd it would not be available under Technet as everything else seems to be.
I know there is a 30 day public trial but given the timescale this 'project' is likely to take, it would be helpful to have it as an ongoing test.

Soldato
Why not just get something akin to a Surface Pro then surely you don't have to invest in any new technologies you can simply use everything you already have in place (i.e. SCCM / Group Policy / WSUS / Bitlocker) and have a much more secure environment as it wil be subject to domain policies, have all of your apps on there, have a VPN connection, etc.

Regarding remote wipe, etc. you wouldn't really need to do this if the device was encrypted. You wouldn't need to anything with an app-store (as you can deploy your apps in the usual way).

M.

Back
Top Bottom