Quick bike question ...

Associate
OP
This is what the back of my license looks like, does this mean I have to speak to DSA and get another license sent out, with a provisional motorbike entitlement?
5e35c2a6.jpg

Soldato
Category P at the bottom entitles you to go and do a CBT without any further licenses from DVLA. so you are good to go and do a CBT

P entitles you to the below as well as going for your CBT
P = Mopeds with an engine size of up to 50 cc and a maximum speed of up to 50 km/h

moped-licence-routes.gif

Just looking at the above Image I found on the net. It always amazes me that people that have their licenses before X date can do so much. Like drive trucks tow trailer and above ride a bike without CBT.
Now I know my mum and dad passed before this date so can do all of the above and I wouldn't trust either in a car with a trailer let alone a damn Truck or bike

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just to clarify, as I've explained this poorly.
I'm 18, have a full UK driving license, want to do my CBT to be able to ride up to 125cc light bikes. With my current license can I just book and arrive for the CBT?

Cheers.

Soldato
Yes. just find a local place that does CBT training and book up with them.

Most will supply Gloves and a helmet if you don't have your own.

Once you have done your CBT you will get a certificate, this will last you 2 years and will expire after the two. if you want to continue on a 125 you will either need to do another CBT or do your full test.

A CBT IS NOT A TEST. it is simply a course to show you how to be a competent rider and be in control of your machine. If you fail this simply means you either need more training or the company are not teaching you well. Again YOU CANT FAIL A CBT.

(Sorry I hate people saying Can I fail a CBT, or people saying good luck> It should be ENJOY! as its a laugh)

This may help if you havent found a school yet

http://www.begin-motorcycling.co.uk/c_northants.htm

Ask them they will have the most up to date concise info available.

Last edited:
Soldato
According to that diagram (Post 2001 car driver) I can ride a moped without L's and carry passengers, without any further tests or training? Does that last forever now or just the length of the CBT?

Soldato
People with licenses issued before 2001 don't need to, not me I'd still need a CBT which that picture says, and so does the directgov site. I'm just wondering because that doesnt say that you need to do a test etc. or that you need to redo you're CBT.

Soldato
I thought as much, I dunno why it comes up as an acheived entitlement on your card and not on provisional entitlements on your paper counterpart though if you still need to do a CBT.

Back
Top Bottom