Quick Network Switch Question

Associate
I need to get a basic switch to avoid a cabling nightmare in my new house, which I've never had before. It just needs to be bog standard, 3 or 4 devices in by ethernet and one out to the router obviously. I assume that any old 15 quid switch will do the job unless I need more advanced features (which I don't)? So a TPLink/Netgear/BlahBlah one are pretty much of a muchness at this price point?

Associate
Yes there won't be any difference between unmanaged switches from any of the reputable brands. Might as well get a Gigabit one for a little extra and possibly an eight port one to leave a little bit of room for expansion.

Soldato
As long as it's all port gigabit yea. I prefer metal cases regardless of usage, couldnt give you a complete reason why though.

Associate
OP
Yeah thought so, but always worth asking the question in case I am being a muppet, which is certainly possible!

I'll just get an 8 port gigabit one, that way I am covered for another couple of devices should the need arise. I also prefer the metal case ones, no idea why :)

Soldato
Historically consumer stuff was plastic, metal was business class, metal is more sturdy, better at dissipating heat etc.

Associate
OP
Cheers all, got a cheap 8 port metal TPLink number for 15 quid and its working great and looks half decent considering its cheap as chips :)

Now I only have one cable alerting everyone to my true nature as a geek, not sure Im actually ever leaving this room again other than to goto the bog and/or kitchen!

**EDIT**

Moving the router made the wifi awful in the living room where the main TV, and thus plex is (and ALL the consoles). Installed spare power-line connectors between living room and the switch in my computer room and its at c.90% so I've ordered another switch for the living room and WiFi can be gone! well other than the mobile phones of course.

How can a blue/grey shiny box that essentially does bugger all be so satisfying when you see those speeds over Ethernet, even on a half decent power line connection!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom