• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

quick question eyefinity

Associate
OP
heya,
just got my adapter now im having issues with the resolution....

putting it with my highest resolution screen 1920x1080 I can only get it to go to 1600x900
putting it with my lowest resolution screen it's max is 1680x1050 it will go even less :/ something silly like 1024
any ideas why or what I'm doing wrong

my setup is dvi-dvi** vga-dvi** dp-vga**

Associate
OP
Yeah im confused by it,
When driving nothing else other than he display port again it won't drive high resolutions only very low..

I thought it was faulty at fist as i get a blank screen until i drop it to low Resolution.
Could drivers caused me only able to drive low resolutions on just one device?
Or could the actual adapter not be working correct... Sucks and now I'm not at home so can't fiddle bleugh

Soldato
Do u mean u've tried the DP adaptor on his own? Could just be a bad driver install if u didnt do a full cleanup before installing the latest ones.

1. Uninstall ATI drivers from control panel, reboot.
2. Boot up and hit F8 just before windows login (can be pressed repeatedly) and select safe mode.
3. Run DriverSweeper to remove all ATI files, reboot when promted.
4. Run the installer for Catalyst 10.8, when prompted reboot.
5. Open CCC, arrange the screens as needed.
6. Run MSI Afterburner and check whether it is correctly reporting your clock speeds.

Cant think what else to check, sorry.

EDIT: One thing though, u wont be able to run eyefinity on monitors with different max resolutions, they all have to be the same. U can run three screens but u wont be able to run a full screen program/game across them.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It's interesting a driver could cause my screen to go blank thinking the resolution is to high, even tho it detects the max resolution the screen can go, ill give it a try after work tomorrow..

With regards to eyefinity I plan to set 2 of them out of native mode to 1680x1050 to supportvmy lowest monitor resolution for eyefinity.

ONly problem is bezel compensation won't work, but can live with manual calibration.

Yeah the dp-VGA on it's own won't even go to full Tess my monitor supports I'm just hoping its not a fault adapter I am to lazy to send it back and impatient

Edit: just like to add I have the ability to select the resolution just the monitor goes into standby.. Making me think it's the adapter, just read tho about Edid could that be anything to do with it?

Last edited:
Associate
Unsure that this response may help, but here goes.

Before I had my current ATI Eyefinity setup I used to have a TripleHead2Go and had a similar problem with low resolution issues and not being able to get the max I wanted and was supported

What I found to be the cause is that I'd connected the TH2G to the GFX Card via a single Link DVI cable which was unable to carry the bandwidth needed from the GFX to the TH2G. Once I moved this to a Dual Link DVI cable, the problem was solved.

As I say not sure if this could be your problem as this was the link between the GFX and TH2G which carried the full resolution bandwidth before delivering the 3 distinct outputs to the screens, each of which used Single Link DVI cables.

Taff

Associate
OP
Still can't get to the pc :mad: but when I do I'll try all suggestions, I'm not using dvi for this just dp-vga
I was wondering could voltages have anything to dp with it? Maybe dp is not driving enough voltages causing it to freak out at high resolutions. As the monitor goes blank but remains out of standby, thinking about it now

If that's the case I have no idea what to do, I have an xfx5850 and checked their website and there are no bios updates lingering about

Associate
Good thinking Supertaff

This shouldnt be necessary.

Indeed, but I did read (when I was researching eyefinity, that it can make a difference)

Out of interest, does Windows detect your DP-VGA monitor correctly or does it just say "standard monitor (or something)". I found I had to manually modify the drivers for my monitor in order to set the correct resolution/refresh rate before it would work properly.

Associate
OP
I'm fairly sure it detects it as a dp and the correct monitor make, I can even select 1680x1050 but when I do blank screen but not in standby!
When I get home I'm going to put it on alone again select the max resolution take a screen shot and wait for it to time out so i get a picture again, see what happens.
I'm thinking it's the adapter... But different power monitor allows different higher resolutions, but never maximum and very low% compared to what it can do

Associate
OP
Update: uninstall CCC > Safe mode > Driversweeper > reboot > 10.8 install > Nothing :(
maximum I can get it to go is 1600x900 I'm really not sure what to do I get the options to select it as 1920x1080 and using no DP I can do it fine :/

Associate
OP
using Cabletex adapter, reports it should work and don't fancy buying again to get this problem... at maximum resolution the screen is not in standby and have noticed very rarely a flicker of the screen
lower resolutions present no problem of this

has to be the flipping adapter.. at maximum resolution and blank screen *printscreen* will give a proper screenshot as if it's all fine*

Update: okay so I think it's this flicker issue many people seem to have, I ran an overclock no luck, but the screen flicked on for 1second and there looks like what Id descibe as (Film grain) "that crap they add to some games"
or in another sense a lot of interferance :p

Im thinking it has to be something to do with voltages

Last edited:
Soldato
Out of interest, does Windows detect your DP-VGA monitor correctly or does it just say "standard monitor (or something)". I found I had to manually modify the drivers for my monitor in order to set the correct resolution/refresh rate before it would work properly.

Yea, device monitor sees it as the same as the other two, Dell 2009w.

@OP - My adapter looks exactly the same as that so maybe it's just a faulty adapter as u first thought :( If it turns out to be faulty the etailer should pay postage.

Back
Top Bottom