quick question - painting over lining paper

Soldato
hi guys

i removed wallpaper and lining papers in the master bedroom. would like to paint and the walls arent in great condition.

id like to paint. but need to use lining papers, will i see the 'line' between lining papers even been painted over?

thanks

thanks for the reply.

i shouldve mention it. i plan to pay someone to install the lining papers for me. then i'll paint over.

which grade is recommend?

thanks again

Unless you are very very careful and lucky - yes.
Andi.

I'd disagree.

Use a good thick lining paper if you are unsure of your walls (1400 grade or above) and just take your time when putting the lining paper up. Make sure the paste has sufficient time to soak into the paper and size your walls before hand and you should be fine.

If you do happen to get a gap appearing when its dried due to it shrinking a bit its not the end of the world and 9 times out of 10 a liberal application of paint will work a treat to fill it if its only minute. If its slightly bigger then just a little bit of fine filler in the gap and a quick rub down will make it vanish once repainted.

I did my entire house and never had any problems with lines at the joins apart from one length when I was wrapping it round the corner of my chimney breast. But as with the advice above a little bit of filler and a rub down hid it in no time.

I did this in my living room to try and avoid sanding down the iffy plastering job I did. Never again there's very visible lines that overlap, lumps where the liningpaper and bubbled and the iffy plastering job is still visible through the lining paper

i shouldve mention it. i plan to pay someone to install the lining papers for me. then i'll paint over.

This probably wont cost significantly less then getting a plasterer in to give the walls a skim.

Consider getting quotes for both and then decide.

A skim is the better option by a long way.

Lining paper, works great even better if you lay it Horizontally and use a light calke on the joins with a light sand looks great.

(dont use a cheap lining paper, you really get what you pay for on this stuff)

Mine came out alright in the below thread (and my first time ever using wallpaper. There is one poor join however and that was user error!

I was skeptical at first but the Mrs and I wanted to save money for other areas of the house and this is a spare bedroom. We went for 1400 grade lining paper from screwfix. Think it was about 30 quid for the lining paper, wallpaper paste and all the wallpapering tools, which is fairly cheaper than a skim!

(if I had the money to skim and it was a big room in the house I might consider otherwise..)

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=30383785&postcount=53

We must remember that the OP wont be putting up the lining paper himself, this closes the gap between the cost of a decorator hanging the paper and the cost of a plasterer doing a skim.

DIY lining paper route would be a lot cheaper, but requires more effort then just painting.

I sized a wall with 2 coats of wallpaper paste, and used 2000 grade lining paper. The joints need to butt together, but not overlap. Even a 'gap' is preferable to overlapping. If you've butted them well, you can get away with painting directly over the paper. If there's thin gaps after the paper shrunk, fill it in with filler and sand lightly over the top. This was the first time I'd used lining paper, and you can't see any of the joins.

I imagine the cost of paying somebody to put up lining paper would be the same as the cost of putting up actual wallpaper? Would you not be better off finding a nice wallpaper and having that instead? It would save you painting.

Back
Top Bottom