quick question - painting over lining paper

If you are paying someone else to do it I'd absolutely go down the route of getting the walls skimmed. Better results and will last longer.

Depending on the condition of your skirting I would also consider swapping this out if you are getting the walls skimmed anyway. You will get a better wall finish and nice new skirting.

Hiding the joins in lining paper is simple:

(1) Allow paper to dry fully after hanging
(2) Paint the join carefullly with a weak PVA solution and allow to dry. This will prevent moisture getting in behind the join
(2) Use a lightweight filler (Polyfilla do one or if you can find it Easifill is great) to fill the join as flat as you can with a filling knife
(4) Very lightly sand down any roughness before painting

I did this in 3 rooms and all joins are invisisble.

If you are paying someone else to do it I'd absolutely go down the route of getting the walls skimmed. Better results and will last longer.

Depending on the condition of your skirting I would also consider swapping this out if you are getting the walls skimmed anyway. You will get a better wall finish and nice new skirting.

Do not get old lime plaster walls skimmed with new gypsum plaster. It will be a complete waste of money

Bercause lime plaster is flexible, moves with the house and has a different expansion rate to modern plaster.

It's highly likely that if you skim old lime plaster walls with modern plaster it'll be covered in hairline cracks within a year.

We must remember that the OP wont be putting up the lining paper himself, this closes the gap between the cost of a decorator hanging the paper and the cost of a plasterer doing a skim.

DIY lining paper route would be a lot cheaper, but requires more effort then just painting.

Yeah if you're paying someone else to do it, get it plastered.

Back
Top Bottom