• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Quick questions about RX 570

Soldato
I don't game but I do have three displays connected.

I'm using an old HD5770 which has started to play up and needs replacing.

Two displays are connected DVI to HDMI and the third via DisplayPort. As I upgrade the displays this will probably end up as 3 x DisplayPort.

It looks like I'm going to need something like an RX 570 to get the outputs I need. Does that sound about right?

If I do get an RX 570 will I also need to replace my PSU? It's a now quite old Corsair HX520w (480W on the 12V rails).

Thanks.

Man of Honour
As I upgrade the displays this will probably end up as 3 x DisplayPort.
what monitors? would they not have HDMI ports too?

It looks like I'm going to need something like an RX 570 to get the outputs I need. Does that sound about right?
i suspect if you're not gaming, then the rx550 would be sufficient.

If I do get an RX 570 will I also need to replace my PSU? It's a now quite old Corsair HX520w (480W on the 12V rails).
no it's fine.

EDIT: of course if you're comparing a used rx570 vs a new rx550 (same-ish prices) then hands down get the rx570, just in case you ever do want to use it for gaming? lol

Soldato
OP
A bit of gentle gaming did cross my mind.

I looked a the RX 550 and they all seem to be limited on ports. Many have a VGA output, which is of no use, and the rest seem to have a DVI which is also limiting. The RX 570 cards appear to have more available useful ports.

I'm currently running a 27" @ 1440x2560 on DisplayPort and two 24" @ 1920x1200 on DVI/HDMI. Any replacements will be 1440x2560 or higher.

The cost of a new RX 570 is within my pain threshold and I will be hanging onto it for a long time.

Are there any models of the RX 570 to avoid? I know it's not unknown for them to reuse the same names for cards with reduced capabilities.

How much memory should I be aiming for?

Soldato
Just spend a bit of time looking at the memory frequencies (some are super low compared to others), and clock speeds.
Also look at things like the cooler. The Asus cooler sucks for example.

Man of Honour
I looked a the RX 550 and they all seem to be limited on ports.
the rx550 on sale at ocuk: https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1522228975#spe
1x hdmi, 1x dp, 1x dvi
max res supported: hdmi/dp = 4k, dvi = 1440p

Are there any models of the RX 570 to avoid? I know it's not unknown for them to reuse the same names for cards with reduced capabilities.
unlike nvidia, the rx470 4gb and 8gb versions only differ on the amount of ram.
of course if you're comparing specific models then some may come factory overclocked too.
as a rule of thumb, the rx570 is suitable for gaming at 1080p @ med-high settings.
at 1080p med-high settings, 4gb vram is sufficient. the rx570 runs out of steam faster than it'll run out of vram space.
but, seeing as the 8gb version is only £10-ish dearer, i'd probably get the 8gb version instead.

of all the brands, i'd get the sapphire -> powercolor -> gigabyte (in this order)
that being said, you may be swayed by gigabyte having a uk-based rma service.

Soldato
OP
Thanks to both of you. That's enough information to start looking in detail.

Do the bundled games (Resident Evil 2, The Division 2 & Devil MayCry 5) have any resale value (assuming they can be resold)?

Back
Top Bottom