Quick Release

Soldato
I'm looking for some decent quality quick release fittings to use with an external radiator. The last time I tried some, they were black Koolance ones and I had to return after reading horror stories regarding corrosion.

Could anyone spec me male and female fittings?

TIA.

Associate
The problem with the Koolance ones was the black could come off and block the fitting.

The later versions where a lot better made but even my version 2 blacks now have marks on them from the often use, I would suggest the Silver ones purely to avoid this issue.

The big issue with most of the cheaper quick release they KILL the flow rate, which is why I have stuck with Koolance fittings.

Soldato
OP
The problem with the Koolance ones was the black could come off and block the fitting.

The later versions where a lot better made but even my version 2 blacks now have marks on them from the often use, I would suggest the Silver ones purely to avoid this issue.

The big issue with most of the cheaper quick release they KILL the flow rate, which is why I have stuck with Koolance fittings.

Could you link me to the fittings you have used? I don't want the flow rate restricted too much so I'm happy to pay for quality components.

Soldato
I am using the black version 3 QD3 koolance ones also, work a treat to external rad. There is a slight reduction in flow rate, apparently 15 l/h from before and after. I have seen the black paint flake off very very slightly on the exterior after opening and closing them nearly 60 odd times (was having disaster after disaster) but work fine aside from that.

I picked them up from OCUK a while back, these ones to be specific: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kool...male-threaded-g-1-4-bspp-black-wc-143-ka.html / https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kool...male-threaded-g-1-4-bspp-black-wc-153-ka.html

They have the Male part in the silver version in stock: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kool...release-bulkhead-male-1-4-inch-wc-174-ka.html but no female part it seems.

Soldato
@Radox-0 Cheers.

Do I need to connect them to G1/4 female fittings as opposed to the compression fittings screwing into the QDC?

The male QDC side accepts male thread's so you can plug your compression fitting directly into that end. The female QDC however has a male thread on the end so needs a Female to Female fitting in between to connect to a compression fitting.

Associate
Could you link me to the fittings you have used? I don't want the flow rate restricted too much so I'm happy to pay for quality components.
Your getting lots of good advice which is good. :)

I'm afraid to say I got my fittings from elsewhere, the benefit of the version I got, was it attached straight onto 16/10 tubing with its built in connector, one less thing to worry about.

but all the Koolance stuff is pretty decent. :)

Soldato
I've used a few Alphacool ones.

First set was the ones featured on their Eisbaer AIO, they are 11/8 sizing but you can buy them without compression and in g1/4 format. As they are plastic would advise to go with the metal clad version for a little bit more cash. Plus for them is they are small but they don't have a no drip design so will need a bit of tissue when you unscrew to the cap- that's the 2nd down side its not a push-pull-clip system but screw one.
The I've used the higher grade No drip version from them and must say its impressive, have two versions with a bigger bore which I didn't use, although once you've added your compression end to them its quite long and heavy, but being metal , no drip and a pull back click system its worth its price

Soldato
OP
I am using the black version 3 QD3 koolance ones also, work a treat to external rad. There is a slight reduction in flow rate, apparently 15 l/h from before and after. I have seen the black paint flake off very very slightly on the exterior after opening and closing them nearly 60 odd times (was having disaster after disaster) but work fine aside from that.

I picked them up from OCUK a while back, these ones to be specific: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kool...male-threaded-g-1-4-bspp-black-wc-143-ka.html / https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kool...male-threaded-g-1-4-bspp-black-wc-153-ka.html

They have the Male part in the silver version in stock: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kool...release-bulkhead-male-1-4-inch-wc-174-ka.html but no female part it seems.

Could you link me to the product page for the silver female version? Sorry to be asking to be spoon fed here, but I find the spec confusing for these.

Soldato
Could you link me to the product page for the silver female version? Sorry to be asking to be spoon fed here, but I find the spec confusing for these.

OCUK don't seem to have a page for the Silver Female one even so can't link it :( Though just google Koolance QD3 Female Silver will list some places.

Don
Using the updated black QD3 (with the silver internals) and they are still prone to seizing in the open position, not as bad as before (where they all seized after a few months) but still occassionally do it, so just be ready with something to catch water if they do stick!

Associate
Using the updated black QD3 (with the silver internals) and they are still prone to seizing in the open position, not as bad as before (where they all seized after a few months) but still occassionally do it, so just be ready with something to catch water if they do stick!
Funnily enough just had exactly this issue
Yanked it off, dropped it and then realised there was a steady stream of water out the end!, tap it on the rad and it stopped, slightly annoying!

Back
Top Bottom