Quick watercooling question

Soldato
OP
Hmm, looks like I will need to get a bigger case then. I was going to get a Lian Li PC-P50R but there is no eta for them so thought about a Lian Li PC-7FW B but I dont think there will be enough room in the top for a 240 rad with the m/board being so close to the top :(
time for a rethink

thanks for the advice :)

Soldato
OP
Aiming for a modest overclock, not bothered about watercooling the GPU as I don't game that much so can put up with the fan on that kicking in while gameing. Ideally looking for as quiet system as possible. As for the rad, well the best one available for the job really

Soldato
I would imagine that you would be OK if you had were using decent components for your loop.

I mean, people are getting fairly decent results with the Corsair H50, and that's only using a 120.1 rad.

Soldato
I have used Thermochill nearly the entire time i been serious about watercooling, so big recommendation to them.

XSPC RX series are good, same as Feser - you will get a difference with rads, "thick" and "thin" rads

Thick rads will generally have a wider fin pitch, so work just as good with slow speed fans as high speed fans - you don't need a high static pressure to force air through. Thermochill are like this and i run my fans on my 120.4 at 800-900rpm even when stress testing 4.4ghz - i barely lose 1c in temps if i push them to the full speed

Thin rads work better with high static pressure fans, usually higher much noiser but cheaper rads.

In general fat rads > thin rads

EDIT: Damn you Shadow! took me a month of sundays to click post... :D

Soldato
Good case

Think you can tell from two peoples "identical" responses (mine was better shadowscotland :p) that those rads are good to go for :)

If it helps, I'm running a 120.4 Thermochill rad with my 920 d0 @ 4.4ghz, 2 mosfets blocks, nb/sb/nf200 (nf200 adds 20-30w of heat) and getting max 70c @ 4.2ghz and max 80c @ 4.4ghz on linx

Shadow is going passive (he has an epic build log going on it - called mine project: si7ence but his wins in that stakes ;))

Can't really go wrong with any decent think rad tbh

Good luck and hope to see build log soon dude :)

Soldato
OP

I think a build log will be in order but will be buying bits on a month by month basis, figured I would get the case first to give me plenty time to get mods done before getting the rest. Hopefully it will all be done by christmas. I may transfer my current PC into the new case and watercool that till I get my new mobo/cpu etc as a sort of test drive ( I was going to say dry run but that doesn't sound right for watercooling).
I have read your project si7ence and it is very inspiring, will have to read shadowscotland's too!

Back
Top Bottom