Quiet cooler for Opty146 and Asrock Mobo

Associate
Any suggestions on what would be a good HSF for an opty146 and an Asrocl 939 Dual Mobo?

Needs to be able to handle a bit of overclocking but should be quiet so possibly take a 120mm fan.
How good is the Artic Freezer or the Thermalright 120? Any others i should consider?

Associate
I'd go for the Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, as the Arock board doesn't come with a backplate and this cooler uses the standard locking mechanism same as the stock AMD cooler.

As for how quiet ???? maybe someelse can post here...

Associate
AF64 is reasonably quiet, but I've not had good cooling results from it on my overclocked Opty 146. Under load at 2.8 it was knocking out 58 deg c +

My X2 has a Gigabyte G Power Pro, and I find that a much better cooler. Adjustable fan speed and I run it at 2000 rpm, gets better temps than the AF64 on idle/load, and is worth the extra cash. Running 2 Prime95 I managed to get it to 42 deg c. Running P95, Superpi, 3D Mark05 all at the same time only managed to max out at 39 deg c.

Associate
I use a scythe ninja on my asrock 939 dual sata2. I have an x2 3800+, but it will fit your opteron too nicely :) . Remember to fit a 120mm fan, mine is just about completely silent, but still outperforms most coolers ;)

Associate
sablabra > Did you need a seperate back plate for the scythe, or does it go on with the normal bits?

Thinking of getting an X2 3800 with the Asrock, and wondering whether to go with the Artic or get something bigger.

Associate
Numpsy said:
sablabra > Did you need a seperate back plate for the scythe, or does it go on with the normal bits?

Thinking of getting an X2 3800 with the Asrock, and wondering whether to go with the Artic or get something bigger.

The back plate came with the cooler, so no need to buy anything extra. :)

Associate
farooqm said:
I'd go for the Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, as the Arock board doesn't come with a backplate and this cooler uses the standard locking mechanism same as the stock AMD cooler.

As for how quiet ???? maybe someelse can post here...

Have just got 1 with the same mobo, the instructions show that a backplate is needed? its quite a bit heavier than the stock cooler so didnt want to chance it. I have read that a K8 backplate is needed, anyone shed some advice on this?

Back
Top Bottom