Quiet Keyboards

Associate
I have a Logitech G15 keyboard which is a bit too big for my new desk and to be honest the keyboard is a bit noisy now my office is next to my daughters bedroom. I'll be looking to sell it soon.

After a bit of research I found a review that said a "Logitech G413 Black/Red Mechanical Backlit Gaming Keyboard" would be quiet so one came and the tap of the buttons reminds me of a typewriter!!! While it feels quite precise, it's definitely not quieter than the G15.

I managed to pick this G413 up for just over £40 so a bit of bargain and it looks very smart but I need quieter keys. I will have to return it!!

Any suggestions for keyboards that won't break the bank and are single colour back lit rather than RGB?

Last edited:
Soldato
There are some mechanical boards that are built for 'silence' which aren't terribly loud, but you'll generally find that membrane boards are often still quieter, which is unfortunate as mechanical (depending on switches at least) are much better to type on in my opinion.

This thread is worth looking through: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/al85ow/quietsilent_mechanical_keyboards_suggestions/

Bit of a rabbit hole though, and what some find 'quiet' might be loud for you.

Associate
lol, g413 was available for a little over £30 over the weekend so i grabbed one :), but yeah, typing on it now and it isn't the quietest, but i kind of like the sound.

btw, maybe people will find this of interest (instead of maybe being directly relevant to this thread), but there's a twitch channel called Taeha Types: https://www.twitch.tv/taehatypes/videos Reason i mention it is that this guy builds luxury keyboards on stream, and i do mean luxury (so not cheap) but with all sorts of different cases, boards, switches, key caps etc..... The people in chat there should be pretty familiar with what components (switches) make for a quiet setup.

Last edited:
Associate
I recently was in a similar situation and settled on the Kensington Advance Fit, though it's not back lit. It uses laptop style scissor keys, not totally silent but way quieter than a noisy membrane or a mechanical, it's full size with media buttons, pretty good for office and gaming use and cheap at under £25. I think Razer do orange mechanical switches that are supposed to be quiet but much more expensive like around £150.

Logitech also do a quiet non mechanical backlit keyboard the K740 at approx £65 as well but it has a giant wrist rest that can't be removed.

Associate
OP
Well after spotting the offer on Amazon for the G213 at £23.99 yesterday (it's still live as I type this) I've ordered one and it arrived today. There's definitely a quieter 'thud' sound when bottoming out so i'm pleased with it! Obviously it's not silent but it will meet my needs for now.

Don't get me wrong I liked the G413 but I just can't use it late at night in my office at home with that bottom out tap sound.

Back
Top Bottom