Quiet PSU

mof

mof

Associate
I've got an evga supernova 1200 p2 80+ platinum and when it's in eco mode the fan won't come until
it reaches a certain temperature. The fan usually comes on after about half an hour of (high load) gaming
and it is loud enough to be heard over the rest of the pc.

I'm just wondering if there are quieter psus that are also high power rated. I haven't seen any passive
psus higher than 500W.

If you had a really overkill psu could you use it without the fan ever turning on because the load/temperature never got high enough? Or would all psu fans have to start turning eventually on a high end system?

Are there similar psus with quiter fans?

I'm not looking to buy a new one right now but I'm just curious.

Soldato
All the Seasonic or made by Seasonic I've owned over the last 14 years have been whisper quiet. Not sure about the cheaper models like the S12/M12/Core series, but the focus Range & prime models are semi passive & cooling is provided by a good quality fan so they should do what I said.

mof

mof

Associate
OP
Thanks Grimley, I was considering a Seasonic when I got this one but I went with the EVGA at the the time for the longer warranty.

Soldato
Shut down is only possible "signalling" for passive cooling PSUs.
Fan equipped PSUs can ramp up their fan, whose max speed is usually enough for good amount of noise.

These passive cooling PSUs are built for having some air moving around them and fashion BS shroud cases are pretty bad place for them when loaded heavily continuously.
Having some loose room around PSU instead of cramped hole would be beneficial also for semi-passive PSUs.

mof

mof

Associate
OP
Haven't thought of that. Is it quite easy to do?
It's sounded the same since it was new so I don't think there's anything wrong with it.
Can you just use normal pc fans?
I assume the fan needs to provide similar cooling.

mof

mof

Associate
OP
Just watched this video showing how to swap PSU fans
Looks a bit complicated for me. I guess they don't expect you to be opening it up and changing fans.

Back
Top Bottom