Quieter CPU cooler for SG05 build

Associate
I have an sg05 with i7 860 on stock cooler and 5850, however the intel cooler is very noisy when the cpu is pushed (BF3)
What is the quietest cooler that will fit in the sg05 - bear in mind I am using the inbuilt drive trays - so have 2.5 and 3.5" disk and slimline dvd fitted :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Would an H50 fit in the case (with everything I am running) and if so how noisy is the radiator fan on it. Don;t want to just change from one noisy cooler to another

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've got a Cooler Master Gemini II in my SG06:

Zu5M4.jpg

End of line so would have to be second hand, but it's cooling a Q6600 @ 2.5GHz (limitation of motherboard not cooling)...I would say passively, but it's not really passive as the case fan acts as the CPU fan. It still fits both drives in even though the picture doesn't show it. Just a thought anyway as it might inspire you to find a fanless solution. One less fan is usually a good thing imo.

Are you overclocking your CPU and if so by how much?

Associate
Wow... I once built a dualcore-system in a SG05 for my girlfriend (no space for a tower but wanted to play oblivion) and was pretty impressed by this case. But I did not know, it could cope with the amounts of heat a current high-end system produces.

If you want to reduce noise, you have to do two things:
- use efficient coolers
- reduce overall heat production

Efficient coolers could be the recommended Gemini II or the Scythe Big Shuriken. In order to reduce heat, I would strongly suggest to get rid of the 3.5" drive - these beasts, especially at 7200rpm, get quite warm and this means hot air your fans have to get rid of. If there is no alternative to the built-in 3.5"-drive, you should at least ensure that it's a 5400rpm model as these produce less heat.

Associate
OP
Wow... I once built a dualcore-system in a SG05 for my girlfriend (no space for a tower but wanted to play oblivion) and was pretty impressed by this case. But I did not know, it could cope with the amounts of heat a current high-end system produces.

If you want to reduce noise, you have to do two things:
- use efficient coolers
- reduce overall heat production

Efficient coolers could be the recommended Gemini II or the Scythe Big Shuriken. In order to reduce heat, I would strongly suggest to get rid of the 3.5" drive - these beasts, especially at 7200rpm, get quite warm and this means hot air your fans have to get rid of. If there is no alternative to the built-in 3.5"-drive, you should at least ensure that it's a 5400rpm model as these produce less heat.

Boot disk is a 2.5 ssd and the other 3.5 for storage is a 1.5tb 5400 eco green

Associate
I envy you. But still, I don't think one should use a 3.5" hard disk in this case. however, assuming this has nothing to do with your problem, you still need a better cooler.

Have a look at the big shuriken (standard shuriken is too high). I read of people cooling their q6600 with this. If its good enough for your i7 - I really don't know. At least, it fits your socket.

Soldato
With the Gemini II do you have PSU internal fan facing down pulling air though the fins (can't tell by picture)?

Associate
You also need to take into account the CPU position on the motherboard, as it further influences the coolers that will fit in an SG05.

I couldn't get my NT-06E to fit on my LGA1156 setup, due to the graphics card being too close to the heatpipes.

str

str

Soldato
The Thermalright AXP-140 is likely your best bet.

A standard 120mm fan won't fit on it in the SG05 but there is a thin 120mm fan you could use should it need one.

str

str

Soldato
I envy you. But still, I don't think one should use a 3.5" hard disk in this case. however, assuming this has nothing to do with your problem, you still need a better cooler.
The ecogreen drives run incredibly cool even with virtually silent cooling.

I have a 3.5" 1TB Samsung F3 ecogreen drive in a virtually silent small HTPC case and the HDD runs around ~30c whereas an older non-ecogreen drive would be ~50c in the same setup and would likely require me to use better and noisy cooling.

Associate
Good to know, thank you. I am using a 7200rpm F3 (currently in an external case as I recently sold the rest of my PC) and once made the mistake of leaving a bar of chocolate on it - not recommended.

Back
Top Bottom