Quietest Cooling

Soldato
Chris Beard said:
It's strange really as hard drives should be completely excluded from the air. Wonder why they break when submerged...
For some reason, they need to breathe - I think because they are not vacuum packed like we are lead to believe. I'm not sure, I could be wrong, but I do know that they put the warning there for a reason :D.

Associate
Found this

"Contrary to what many people believe about hard drives, they are not sealed in airtight containers. The holes in question—often called "breathing holes"—allow air to circulate through the drive's platter chamber. This provides a consistent cushion of air for the drive's heads to ride on, and also allows the air density within the drive to remain consistent with changes in atmospheric pressure. However, there are hermetic seals on other parts of the drive, which ensure that those holes are the only places where air exchange occurs."

Associate
Did a wikipedia on it's ass for HDD. Found the breathing hole bit too, apparently the air comming in is filtered and is used to keep a presurised bit if air between the plate and head. So I was right dust does make it fizzle, but I was also wrong; it still breathes!

I think we've killed this thread now....

Back
Top Bottom