Quite a lot of crashes!

Associate
My computer has been running fine for months on end since purchase back last year. The PC is regularly cleaned, dusted etc. And everything is always up to date! I haven’t overclocked anything but I always make sure everything is always up to date such as drivers etc. No hardware is failing as I believe but games like PUBG & Fortnite suffer with screen freezing or crashes completely. This may just be the games themselve but I’m worried it’s not! Anything I should check?

Associate
OP
GPU drivers, which are installed, NVIDIA, AMD or Microsoft release ? Would also need to know your system

All drivers are up to date using Geforce Game Ready drivers version 390.6

Computer Build:
GPU: EVGA GTX1070 SC2 iCX 8GB
CPU: Ryzen 1800x
RAM: Corsair 3000mhz (2 x 8GB)
Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon
M.2. Drive: Samsung 960 Evo 250gb (Running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit)
HDD: 1TB Seagate

There is no overclocks applied to this build, CPU is water-cooled.

The two games that have crashed are Fortnite and Players Unknown Battlegrounds.

Associate
OP
I have tried verification of the integrity but still had no luck! I do have a feeling that it’s the games themselves as when playing GTA V on Ultra or Battlefield I’ve never had any crashes yet! I’m so confused as it was fine and running smoothly up until recent updates which makes me thing it’s the games themselves but I can’t be certain!

Soldato
Last thing I can suggest is delete the game folders in steamapps>common. Then uninstall the game then reinstall. That way everything is cleared and fresh. I'll try PUBG and let you know what happens. I am not on the latest Nvidia drivers.

Associate
OP
Last thing I can suggest is delete the game folders in steamapps>common. Then uninstall the game then reinstall. That way everything is cleared and fresh. I'll try PUBG and let you know what happens. I am not on the latest Nvidia drivers.

Thanks a bunch I would appreciate if you could get back to me what happens! I’ve seen on there forum there is a lot of issues with crashing! But like now with Battlefield 4 I’ve been playing for 4 hours now and no crash at all! I’ll try deleting folders and reinstalling.

Associate
OP
I’ve completely deleted all files, and reinstalled both games! Fortnite is running fine but as I’ve discussed with other players it lags or crashes when days pass by. What I mean by this is you’ll be in a game and you’ll have 3 days to complete the task for extra awards but when the days pass by and it says for eg. Day One, Day Two and Day Three each of time this UI appears on the screen it lags the game as well as when people join etc. So I’m guessing it’s related to there server issues! I haven’t tried PUBG yet but I’m sure if it happens again it’ll be all down too the game devs as the games aren’t really that stable anyway tbf but I’ll keep an eye on it

Soldato
All drivers are up to date using Geforce Game Ready drivers version 390.6

Computer Build:
GPU: EVGA GTX1070 SC2 iCX 8GB
CPU: Ryzen 1800x
RAM: Corsair 3000mhz (2 x 8GB)
Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon
M.2. Drive: Samsung 960 Evo 250gb (Running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit)
HDD: 1TB Seagate

There is no overclocks applied to this build, CPU is water-cooled.

The two games that have crashed are Fortnite and Players Unknown Battlegrounds.
Run a memory test, I've found Aida64 stress test with just memory and cache selected to be very good at weeding out unstable memory overclocks on Ryzen.

If you are running your RAM at higher than 2666MHz then that's technically an overclock and if you've updated your bios recently that may affect RAM stability.

Associate
OP
Run a memory test, I've found Aida64 stress test with just memory and cache selected to be very good at weeding out unstable memory overclocks on Ryzen.

If you are running your RAM at higher than 2666MHz then that's technically an overclock and if you've updated your bios recently that may affect RAM stability.

What software should I use to check this? The BIOS I have on the motherboard is v17 and I believe the RAM is set to 2666mhz as I know early stages of Ryzen wouldn’t allow you to go higher than that number so I kept mine at that and updated the BIOS. I believe v19 is out but I was told not to update BIOS unless I run into problems etc. Which I’m worried to flash the BIOS to the most recent due to MSI not offering a dual-bios so if anything goes wrong it’s back to Overclockers for a replacement once again!

Soldato
What software should I use to check this? The BIOS I have on the motherboard is v17 and I believe the RAM is set to 2666mhz as I know early stages of Ryzen wouldn’t allow you to go higher than that number so I kept mine at that and updated the BIOS. I believe v19 is out but I was told not to update BIOS unless I run into problems etc. Which I’m worried to flash the BIOS to the most recent due to MSI not offering a dual-bios so if anything goes wrong it’s back to Overclockers for a replacement once again!
Don't bother updating the bios yet. If your RAM is running at 2666MHz then it probably isn't that, Aida64 should tell you the RAM speed as should CPU-z or HWInfo64. Remember though that most software will list the actual speed the RAM's running at not the effective speed so multiply by 2 to get this I.e. software shows 1333MHz, multiply by 2 to give 2666MHz which is the effective rate.

It may be worth running the Aida64 stress test with just memory and cache selected too just to make sure.

Associate
OP
I’ll give that a try shortly.

The bios update improves the following;
- Improved memory compatibility.
- Update AGESA Code 1.0.0.6b
- Improved Intel 600P M.2 compatibility.
- Enhanced board explorer function.
- Improved post time.
- Support "Above 4G Decoding" function.

I’ll try the suggested before anything and see what the results are. What am I looking for?

Associate
OP
Don't bother updating the bios yet. If your RAM is running at 2666MHz then it probably isn't that, Aida64 should tell you the RAM speed as should CPU-z or HWInfo64. Remember though that most software will list the actual speed the RAM's running at not the effective speed so multiply by 2 to get this I.e. software shows 1333MHz, multiply by 2 to give 2666MHz which is the effective rate.

It may be worth running the Aida64 stress test with just memory and cache selected too just to make sure.

Viewing the memory speed it is set at 1333.0 Mhz which as you said x 2 = 2666 at 16384 Bytes for the 16GB Dual Channel configuration.

I also am running a stress test which I have been for 20 mins or so now with the CPU sitting at 50 degrees as normal but no crashes whatsoever so I’m unsure of that the RAM is the issue.

All in all I’m guessing the problems I’m having are with the games themselves? Where should I look now?

Soldato
I think you are barking up the wrong tree I cant see a BIOS update fixing it. If your memory timings/speed were wrong then you would have seen symptoms well before now in all games. I think its more to do with the last sentence in your post #11. Just been reading the Steam discussion and as well as the "Chinese Hackers" and comments about the game being ruined by cheaters there are a few reporting crashes. Best thing you can do is forget the game for a while and come back to it after the next update. It will either fix it or the amount of cheating increasing will not make it worthwhile anyway. Some of the comments are funny in the Steam Discussion albeit I cant quote them here. :)

Caporegime
most common crashes will be gpu driver also if on win 10 creators update build 1709.my god its a nightmare for issues.most havent been solved.

check gpu temps, cpu temps.windows logs when the game crash to see what error it gives

Soldato
Viewing the memory speed it is set at 1333.0 Mhz which as you said x 2 = 2666 at 16384 Bytes for the 16GB Dual Channel configuration.

I also am running a stress test which I have been for 20 mins or so now with the CPU sitting at 50 degrees as normal but no crashes whatsoever so I’m unsure of that the RAM is the issue.

All in all I’m guessing the problems I’m having are with the games themselves? Where should I look now?
Yes, that's fine. I doubt the RAM is the problem then, it's probably just the games as you surmised. Let us know if it gets worse. ~>Dg<~ has some good advice, also check your power supply voltages in Aida64, the 12V rail should be very close to 12V, the 5V to 5V and the 3.3V to 3.3V.

Associate
OP
Everything seems to be in working order and up to standards as what you’d expect from a PC as there’s no red flags in any of the hardware. All running at correct frequencies and voltages so I’m down to be certain that it’s the games causing the issues. I tried another BETA model game “Escape From Tarkov” and I’ve been playing that since my last post and have had no issues whatsoever. The same for Battlefield, Assassins Creed: Origins and Mass Effect: Andromeda and all games run smoothly and don’t crash whatsoever. I heavily mod GTA V with graphics enhanced mods and about 600+ vehicle add-ons and even that don’t crash as much as PUBG does lol. Thanks for all of your help and I’ll keep you updated on any changes but for now I’ll guess I’ll just play PUBG on console !

Back
Top Bottom