Quite specific laptop spec needed 'approx' £400 - 10"-13"

Soldato
Hi hi, I need some help as there are just too many models to trawl through!!! :eek:

I want to get my gf a laptop for her birthday in April and it needs to be able to do a few things:
  • HDMI - output at 1080p without lag or stuttering
  • Used for web browsing, streaming TV shows and connection to TV for HD and Full HD mkv, etc.
  • Built-in wifi
  • No need for DVD drive although it is a bonus
  • Very small, light and thin (10" up to 13.5" max and if on the larger size of the scale must still be slim and light)
  • Preferably white, soft/pastel pink or something stylish
  • HDD - I have a spare 2.5" 250GB hard drive so perhaps space for a second HDD but not essential, and probably best if i dont have to dismantle it if it voids the warranty.
  • Not concerned whether or not gfx is independent or onboard mobo (though I expect it will need to be onboard at the lower end of the size scale) as will not be used for gaming, just as long as it can handle HD playback

Whilst the Vaios look nice her last one was a Vaio and we werent happy with the lack of driver support from Sony on windows 7 or its longevity (5yrs then dead). I'll consider any brand if you can recommend it.

Thanks very much in advance :) this will be a big help as I've not got time myself to go through all the websites and models to try to find the right ones, so a reduced list would be VERY useful.

C

Associate
ul30a or the t130, preferably the first, I have one and its simply the best for the money for size/power/battery life/price

Soldato
Acer 3810TZ springs to mind :)

I have the 8371 which is essentially the same laptop minus hdmi and in a different skin. I can highly recommend it for value, portability/size/weight, battery life and switchable graphics is a nice plus. Not sure it will fit your colour requirements though lol

Soldato
OP
Well it seems to be very difficult to find anyone in the UK who stocks a decent range of laptops, especially the thin 13" ones! Looks likely I will settle on the MSI X340 from OCUK tbh.

Associate
Thanks guys. Anyone got experience with the MSI X600? Quite like the spec on the Samsung Q330.

You know who. lol

But the MSI X340 is quite nice too. Same form factor as the X600. Not so powerfull as the X600 but still good.

The advantage of the MSI X340, is that it has an Intel GMA 4500HD, so very good for the battery life. the weight is quite good too : 1.3 Kg.

But I have no experiences with a core 2 solo SU3500 and an Intel GMA 4500HD for HD video playback...

With a SU4100 Core 2 duo and the Intel GMA 4500HD, I know it works fine for HD video playback.

Otherwise about the colour : it's not really white nor completly silver, but just in between, or really black. I don't know if your can find other colours... ^^

EDIT : sorry, I just noticed a MSI X340 exists with a SU4100 processor ! So that might be good for you or your wife... ^^ My Acer 1825PTZ has the same configuration : SU4100 with Intel GMA 4500HD and no problem with HD video playback. Simply don't forget to update the Intel GMA 4500HD driver from Intel site to get the latest one...
And better upgrade the memory to 3 or 4 GB RAM. ^^

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
When I asked in the other thread I didnt realise the x600 was a 15.6" (and therefore too big).

Thanks for the input arobase, good to know the proc (SU4100 is dual core right?) and gpu are good enough - it wont be a gaming machine, small chance i'd play an RTS on it but nothing taxing. And white will be fine cos it looks smart enough without looking like a standard business laptop.

Is the Intel GMA 4500HD an integrated gfx card or is it something that could be swapped out at a later date?

EDIT: I like the brushed aluminium look on some of the Samsung SF310 but the price is probably too high and the X120 looks pretty sweet for a smaller version but can't find an UK retailer selling either!

EDIT 2: GRRR WHY DOES NO ONE IN THE UK SELL 11-13" LAPTOPS??!?!?!?

Last edited:
Associate
When I asked in the other thread I didnt realise the x600 was a 15.6" (and therefore too big).

Thanks for the input arobase, good to know the proc (SU4100 is dual core right?) and gpu are good enough - it wont be a gaming machine, small chance i'd play an RTS on it but nothing taxing. And white will be fine cos it looks smart enough without looking like a standard business laptop.

Is the Intel GMA 4500HD an integrated gfx card or is it something that could be swapped out at a later date?

EDIT: I like the brushed aluminium look on some of the Samsung SF310 but the price is probably too high and the X120 looks pretty sweet for a smaller version but can't find an UK retailer selling either!

EDIT 2: GRRR WHY DOES NO ONE IN THE UK SELL 11-13" LAPTOPS??!?!?!?

Intel GMA 4500HD is totally integrated, so does any gfx card with any Netbooks or Laptops ! Whether it is Intel , NVidia or ATI, you can't change it, as it is soldered on the motherboard. Once you've done a choice it's forever, at least till the device dies... ;)

Unless you find a model with dual-gfx card. I quoted two examples in another thread...

Soldato
OP
that is the one i will probably end up getting but mostly because there are no other options unless going to netbook, but i dont want single core.

Soldato
OP
Wow that looks excellent, is the Lenovo site itself the best place to buy from? Only the U160 seems to be available on their site and cant change colour either :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom