Quite specific laptop spec needed 'approx' £400 - 10"-13"

Associate
I'd keep an eye on fusion netbooks.

As for dual core CULV machines, I can vouch for them. They do the job, and they can do it all day.

Not sure about that particular one, but the best in battery life are still the Acer 3810T and the Asus UL30A.

Again, fusion netbooks are worth keeping in mind. they are smaller, and have good balance between CPU and PSU. Not necessary cheaper though.

Atom based netbooks are really crappy, even those with dual-core compared to a Laptop with a celeron proc... ^^

There were a good deal when the laptops were really more expensive. But as the CULV really cute down the price, battery life is much better than before and their mostly lighweight now...

Atom based Netbooks and CULV Laptops are pretty close in term of price, unless you get a real low-cost one, and you're really short with your money...

EDIT : if by fusion netbooks you mean AMD, I can't tell then as I don't have any experiences with AMD Netbooks. With laptops or Desktops, AMD proc are good in term of performance but not that good with battery life.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I ordered OCUK's last MSI X340 this morning so I'll see how it is when it arrives next week :) I decided all it needs to be able to do is websurf, play HD movies to TV, store photos and look stylish, and as it ticks all those boxes (and has a 2 year warranty) there didnt seem a lot of point in spending an extra £200 on the SF310 as the only added capability I can see is that the SF310 could be used as a gaming machine too due to its dedicated graphics card.

Associate
I ordered OCUK's last MSI X340 this morning so I'll see how it is when it arrives next week :) I decided all it needs to be able to do is websurf, play HD movies to TV, store photos and look stylish, and as it ticks all those boxes (and has a 2 year warranty) there didnt seem a lot of point in spending an extra £200 on the SF310 as the only added capability I can see is that the SF310 could be used as a gaming machine too due to its dedicated graphics card.

I guess your missus will prefer to spend more time with you than playing games, unless you wanted to use it for yourself more often that she would do... :D

I don't plan to buy one, but I can't wait... after your report... :p

My Acer Aspire 1825PTZ laptop is 11.6" and weight 1.7 kg, and my Asus N10Jb 10" Netbook (about 1.6 kg) may even be heavier than the MSI-X340... ^^

Soldato
Atom based netbooks are really crappy, even those with dual-core compared to a Laptop with a celeron proc... ^^

There were a good deal when the laptops were really more expensive. But as the CULV really cute down the price, battery life is much better than before and their mostly lighweight now...

Atom based Netbooks and CULV Laptops are pretty close in term of price, unless you get a real low-cost one, and you're really short with your money...

EDIT : if by fusion netbooks you mean AMD, I can't tell then as I don't have any experiences with AMD Netbooks. With laptops or Desktops, AMD proc are good in term of performance but not that good with battery life.

I was talking about the new AMD chips (E-350). I used to have a NC10, but was too limited. As you say, Atoms are past their due date. Now have a UL30A and it's brilliant (has its flaws but willing to forgive :)).

Associate
I was talking about the new AMD chips (E-350). I used to have a NC10, but was too limited. As you say, Atoms are past their due date. Now have a UL30A and it's brilliant (has its flaws but willing to forgive :)).

Yes, this is what I said, in term of performance AMD proc with integrated gfx card are getting better and better, but the drawback is still battery life.

Getting better than in the past, but still more energy consumption compared to Atom dual core Based or CULV. If battery life is your major interest, this is not a good deal...

UL30A is really a good lappy, but quite heavy for its size, nay ? And what is its actual price ?

I really like Asus Laptops, but could not understand why Asus use to place the dot key on top left position of the numerical keypad when it exists, and not at the bottom ??? ^^

When you use numbers very often, this is not the best place, I guess... :confused:

Soldato
Yes, this is what I said, in term of performance AMD proc with integrated gfx card are getting better and better, but the drawback is still battery life.

Getting better than in the past, but still more energy consumption compared to Atom dual core Based or CULV. If battery life is your major interest, this is not a good deal...

True. The C-50 is more efficient than the E-350 in that department and competes directly against Atoms single core. Still uses more power than atom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXXOLnPnS7o

Still, I'd sacrifice battery life over good HD playback and accelerated graphics :)

UL30A is really a good lappy, but quite heavy for its size, nay ? And what is its actual price ?

Since you ask, yes, a little heavy, mostly battery weight. It's a 13'' (12.6 x 9.2 x 1.0->1.25), slim except at the battery since it's not flush. I'm using a 14'' sleeve and it's snug. Good laptop with its idiosyncrasies. The touchpad has a weird texture that takes getting used to, touchpad buttons are stiff but I never use them (gestures, three-finger for 'back' in browser, two finger scroll, one finger tap), screen vertical viewing angles poor, and screen feels fragile. I paid £350 at the time (2 years ago), and could be had for £335. Rest is spot on. Good power management, good keyboard layout, silent, bit wooshy when the GMA4500HD is pushed, good wireless, 9 hours batteries, 6.5 hours IPlayer (estimated, I don't watch IPlayer for 6 hours :)), 4 hours gaming (guild wars). I've added a 128GB PB22J SSD (AHCI mode), installed Win 7 Home Premium using a retail disk and the laptop key, and it works like a charm. As far as I'm concerned the perfect laptop for my needs.

I really like Asus Laptops, but could not understand why Asus use to place the dot key on top left position of the numerical keypad when it exists, and not at the bottom ??? ^^

When you use numbers very often, this is not the best place, I guess... :confused:

No numeric pad :p

Last edited:
Associate
True. The C-50 is more efficient than the E-350 in that department and competes directly against Atoms single core. Still uses more power than atom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXXOLnPnS7o

Still, I'd sacrifice battery life over good HD playback and accelerated graphics :)

Since you ask, yes, a little heavy, mostly battery weight. It's a 13'' (12.6 x 9.2 x 1.0->1.25), slim except at the battery since it's not flush. I'm using a 14'' sleeve and it's snug. Good laptop with its idiosyncrasies. The touchpad has a weird texture that takes getting used to, touchpad buttons are stiff but I never use them (gestures, three-finger for 'back' in browser, two finger scroll, one finger tap), screen vertical viewing angles poor, and screen feels fragile. I paid £350 at the time (2 years ago), and could be had for £335. Rest is spot on. Good power management, good keyboard layout, silent, bit wooshy when the GMA4500HD is pushed, good wireless, 9 hours batteries, 6.5 hours IPlayer (estimated, I don't watch IPlayer for 6 hours :)), 4 hours gaming (guild wars). I've added a 128GB PB22J SSD (AHCI mode), installed Win 7 Home Premium using a retail disk and the laptop key, and it works like a charm. As far as I'm concerned the perfect laptop for my needs.

No numeric pad :p

Woow, £350 two years ago ? I thought it was much more expensive... ^^
Really a good machine for the price indeed !

And of course, no numeric pad with a 13" laptop... :D

Got the same problem with stiff buttons on touchpad with an Asus U1F.
Except this small issue and the use of specific 1.8" HDD, the lappy is simply "extraordinary" ! :D
Not the same price either... :p

Back
Top Bottom