Quitting smoking tonight

Soldato
I'm sure nobody cares and I feel like this is quite a self centered thread to post...

My tobacco is going to run out tonight and I have decided not to purchase anymore.

I've "quit" a few times in the past for periods of 6 - 24 months, and have always been up for it, but this time I'm incredibly anxious...

I've been wanting to stop again for about a couple of years, but for some reason, I just haven't felt the motivation to actually do it like I have done previously. Right now is objectively a good time to do so, so I'm drawing a line in the sand and going with tonight.

I'm going cold turkey, the "hard bit" has historically not been the part I have failed at, so not going to bother with anything that drags that bit out.

Wish me luck!

Soldato
OP
why don't you stop now, instead of tonight ?

That would be best as I currently feel like I'm sat in the waiting room for the dentist or something lol. Honestly I've got it in my head that this is the plan and my brain isn't happy with the suggestion of not "enjoying" the last of it even though I 100% agree it's the better plan.

Soldato
OP
I know what an addiction is, it's just that I find it hard to comprehend how the human mind can be so mentally weak when it comes to self control, particularly in the case of smoking whereby there are soooo many negatives with smoking and very few positives.

It becomes a part of your life. Its scary to think that those 5 minute moments that are chemically burnt into your brain as being enjoyable are going to go away forever.

Soldato
OP
I stopped dead cold turkey one Sunday about 13 - 14 years back, i dont keep track and prefer to forget that hell when i was trapped.

I am shocked you went back to it after a good period, when i quit i absolutely hated the stuff, the companies behind it, the Gov for allowing its sale and actually i dont like people who smoke anymore either.
It changes a person on a level deeper than they just stink.

I quit (paused?) for 2 years, started again 4 years ago.

I never got that highly anti-smoking thing that ex smokers often do. Normally I would feel indifferent around smoking people. It smelt like it did before I smoked which was interesting. I would occasionally feel jealous, though usually not very intensely unless it was a time it was perfect for a fag, like abroad on holiday in the sun with a beer or whatever.

Soldato
OP
Well done mate. Probably one of the best things you can do.

And also, it's not a self centered post. It's good to know you have a load of internet strangers behind you wishing you luck. Keep strong mate, you can do this.

Might be worth keeping track of all the money you'll save, then treat yourself to something nice.

The funds have been pre allocated and a standing order set up to syphon them off lol.

I proposed to my now fiancée a month ago, and extra funds for the wedding is the primary catalyst for wanting to quit.

Soldato
OP
Going ok, thanks for asking. The cravings are harder to deal with than I remember though. Just got to remind myself that the cravings won't be forever, then it's easy enough to not give in.

Soldato
OP
On day 3 now. Honestly, its harder than I thought / remembered it to be... Everything has been a bit of a nightmare at work and home too which doesn't help lol.

Glad to be a few days in now, as its really easy to justify getting back on the fags and trying again later during the first day or 2, but now I've committed this much effort it seems like a waste and I would feel guilty about failing now. I'm having less moments when I think I'll go for a fag, then remember I've stopped which is good as thats really annoying lol.

Soldato
OP
Still off the fags @new boy?

Yes though finding it very tough still, maybe even tougher than the first couple of days :(

Went to get a haircut today and had fully decided that I had had enough and that I was going to buy some fags when I got to the high street. Fortunately I managed to change my mind by the time I got there.

I 100% think that had they still sold them In 10s I'd have got a pack of 10 TBH...

I'm not feeling very positive about quitting at the moment I'm afraid to say.

Still, 7 days tomorrow I think, that's a decent landmark. Maybe things will start getting easier soon.

Soldato
OP
So morning / afternoon at work were good today nicotine craving wise.

Evening at home has been bad. All I can think about is having a fag :(

I have been fairly sure there is probably a cigar in my car, I've been meaning to throw it out since I quit but keep forgetting. Naturally, I double checked a minute ago, maybe hoping there wasn't but there is... Its on my desk now, seams unlikely I'll not smoke it to be honest...

****, I already can taste the regret and disappointment :(

Soldato
OP
Well OP, this thread has inspired me to kick the habit after smoking on an off for about 24 years.

I always told myself that I was just a social smoker but I wasn't. I was just a dirty stinking smokey loser like everyone else sucking on the old fags.

I've downloaded a quit smoking app with a timer on it, set fire to a packet of fags with about 17 in it (in the wood burner outside), thrown out my vape pen, told my smoker mates that I'm chucking it and to give me a torrent of abuse if I ask for a cigarette, and read up on what to expect as I move on.

So far at 2 days, 3 hours, 2 minutes and 53 seconds smoke free it's not fun and I could easily go buy some fags and chain smoke about four at once.

That said, whenever I get a craving I look at the timer and am adamant that I will not be resetting it so the craving can **** off! So can anyone who dares talk to me right now.

Anyway, next target is 3 days smoke free and I'm allegedly looking forward to more relaxed airways and peak withdrawal symptoms as the last of the nicotine leaves my system. What fun! Can't wait! :D

Nice! Sounds like you are doing great! Glad not to be the only one on this road at this time.

I feel even worse about my misdemeanour last night now, and I already felt ridiculously answerable to you nerds about this as it is lol.

Today has been a great day, I have high hopes that the evening will continue to be good too :)

Back
Top Bottom