Quitting smoking

Soldato
allllec said:
You mentioned eating more? is this common - i ask becuase i have noticed since giving up (coming upto 1 week fag free) i've put on a few pounds lol. my belly is coming back :'( noo
I have been a non smoker since June 2003. I put on about a stone over the first year or so. The last 2 years have been dedicated to regaining my Adonis figure :D I have changed my lifestyle and diet, to attain my fighting weight of 11 stone ( I topped out @ 14 stone). My thinking at the time was that I would rather put on a few pounds and not smoke, then I would deal with the weight gain later. If you are concerned about weight gain, then start running, swimming etc and put more healthy food into your diet. 20 apples won't hurt your waist line like 20 packets of crisps will. Also if you are a bit grouchy try Tai Chi or Yoga for relaxation and a better control of your emotions.

Good luck and well done to all you non smokers :)

Last edited:
Associate
Me and my other half stopped 2 weeks ago today after 13 years of smoking.

We are on the patches ( i forgot my patch today ) and it has not bothered me one bit.

Over the last 2 weeks we put the money we would have both spent on Cigs and counted out last nite.

£260 in 2 weeks of not smoking.

So we treated or selves and our son last nite with the money we saved.

Associate
Well, after reading this thread i have decided to give up too. Wasnt really a heavy smoker, but it was still around 10 a day.... I have asthma so thats really why im doing it.

Its been Sunday since i have one :D. So Hopefully the worst of it has gone.
Also im not using any patches or gum, i just tend to eat more now.... But im combatting that by going to the gym a lot more :)

Soldato
Smoking is one thing I will never do, my brother started from an early age and has warned me never to do it. He has tried to stop but failed on many occasions due to lack of will power. Its paying to kill yourself in my opinion :o

Soldato
I gave up 2 weeks befor ethe smoking ban, thought id make a head start on everyone else :)

used patches for a week then just went cold turkey after that, I was right stroppy sod for a couple of weeks but now I feel so much better for it.

I go to the gym 3-5 times a week so I havent but any weight on yet, and since the ban has kicked in its made it so much easier, I alsways used to give in when out with the mates and they all sparked up.

It really all does come down to will power and if you 'want' to actually give up, if your hearts not in it then you might as well as not bother.

its worth it in the long run though.

Soldato
i am 6 weeks in to quitting.

getting easier now. Champix helped to start with. stopped taking that now though.

good luck to all those trying!

Associate
How long were you on champix for? I am taking it at the moment and am on my 10th week. I have just got a new persription for another 2 weeks and then was thinking of getting the starter pack again and using it in reverse to come off it gradually. I still get minor cravings occasionally and have smoked a few while on champix but none at all for just over a month now. The champix leaflet says to take for 12 weeks minimum but then is a bit vague about coming off it. I am worried that once I stop taking the drug I will start getting cravings for cigs again. How did you find it?

~J~

~J~

Soldato
Those who have stopped, or are in the process of stopping:

How are you coping with the "kill 5 mins" problem?

I've not had any cravings (or I don't think I have). But the hardest thing so far is, for example, coming off the PC, putting the kettle on, or waiting during the adverts say, and just wondering what to do for 5 mins.

Any tips?

Soldato
Any tips?

swans_slim_rolling_filter_tips.jpg

Soldato
Im still smoke free... Stopped on March the 26th... Had asneaky one or two on the 27th but nothing since.

I have had the occasional crave of course I have... But just a few seconds of needing that soon went away as soon as I thought of somethign else.

Good luck to all.

I did it...

( Smarmy gay voice = ON )

And so can you!

( Winks at camera and walks off )

Don
find something to do when you want a cigarette, like take a swig of water

my dad tried to quit about 15 times over the years, but always found it hard with farm stress and then his friends smoking in the pub

since the ban, he's completely quit, and just drinks a crap load of water instead

Back
Top Bottom