Quotes you live your life by

Soldato
Your logic is flawed. What's more, that's just suicide.. let alone depression. I think you need to re-evaluate your understanding of human beings.

And a life affirming quote of sentimentalist claptrap would have made all the difference to those people?

Make the most of your life and chin up are fairly obvious things, but depression is a disease and has nothing to do with rationality or logical thinking and so isn't really relevant.

Last edited:
Associate
The first time someone calls you a horse you punch him on the nose, the second time someone calls you a horse you call him a jerk, but the third time someone calls you a horse, well then perhaps it's time to go shopping for a saddle.

Associate
OP
[DOD]Asprilla;15050334 said:
And a life affirming quote of sentimentalist philosophy would have made all the difference to those people?

Make the most of your life and chin up are fairly obvious things, but depression is a disease and has nothing to do with rationality or logical thinking anyway.

I was talking about the assumption that most people know to keep their chin up or make the most of their lives. The same one you just made.

Personally I've never suffered depression, I've always been an optimist and never have let things get me down. But that doesn't mean that I don't empathise with those that do. Spend a few years counselling people, you'll understand that your perfect reality where people only know to look up and be happy simply doesn't exist. And yes, words can change people's mentality. I spent 3 months working suicide lines in 2007, words make all the difference. What's more, if they can be structured into a quote that hits home... it's very effective.

Soldato
I was talking about the assumption that most people know to keep their chin up or make the most of their lives. The same one you just made.

I don't think there's much point in going into this in detail since we are just splitting hairs.

However, I didn't say everyone knew it, I said it was obvious; just because something is obvious it doesn't mean people can see it, particularly when they are depressed. To quote Edward R. Murrow "The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer".

Back
Top Bottom