• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Qx9650 vs 3570k

Soldato
Currently I'v put my new 670 in to my old rig running a [email protected].

Obviously my max frames have increased and performance is very good compared to my 5870, but I do feel the cpu is holding back the gpu.

I hope that the 3570k will feel worth £170 in relation to the performance increase over my Qx9650, in both general usage and gaming?

Soldato
OP
Guess I'l find out over the weekend when I try and install it.

My current case is a Thermaltake Amor I also bought a Noctua Nh14. It says it should fit in cases of 22cm width. Mine is exactly 22cm in width, but there is a big side fan on the side panle.....:rolleyes:

I hope it will fit!

Associate
Guess I'l find out over the weekend when I try and install it.

My current case is a Thermaltake Amor I also bought a Noctua Nh14. It says it should fit in cases of 22cm width. Mine is exactly 22cm in width, but there is a big side fan on the side panle.....:rolleyes:

I hope it will fit!

I hope it fits too, though worst case scenario is that you have to remove the side fan, which isn't too much of an issue with GTX 670's since they don't really get too hot (though it would be if you were running 3 way GTX 480's- those things get very hot!)
You may also want to check your RAM, since the NH-D14 is one mighty beast of a cooler, so you may have clearance issues if you have tall heat sinks on the sticks.
Good luck with the upgrade- I'm sure you won't be disappointed now that your 670 can show you its full potential :)

Soldato
OP
I hope it fits too, though worst case scenario is that you have to remove the side fan, which isn't too much of an issue with GTX 670's since they don't really get too hot (though it would be if you were running 3 way GTX 480's- those things get very hot!)
You may also want to check your RAM, since the NH-D14 is one mighty beast of a cooler, so you may have clearance issues if you have tall heat sinks on the sticks.
Good luck with the upgrade- I'm sure you won't be disappointed now that your 670 can show you its full potential :)

I bought the samsung green ram, so they are low profile.

Soldato
I'm not sure how much difference there is between the Q9650 and the the Qx9650 but I've just come from the Q9650 to a 3570K and I get roughly an extra 50% in most games. I know GTA4 is quite CPU intensive and as such my average frames went from 43fps AVG in the benchmark to 67 with the same settings, so I've bumped up most of the settings and still get 59 avg.

Soldato
OP
Awesome upgrade.It really is a worthy upgrade.

Only bad thing is the noctua cooler I bought was way too big for my case.I had to remove the sidefan ar.The good thing is though the upgrade is so much that I think I even need to OC yet!

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm sure you'll have a great time with your new rig, Opeth. It'll be an amazing jump in performance. :)

Nice case btw. :) One of my preferred choices for my next overhaul, which hopefully, won't be too terribly far off.

Soldato
I've just done the same upgrade but not had chance to assemble it yet.

I'm glad your seeing the benefits as I was unsure how much better it would be, and its more than a £170 outlay really with a new motherboard and memory.

Back
Top Bottom