R.I.P. Pyro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
pyro, known to the outside world as apostolis, is no longer with us.
he took his own life while doing his national service in greece.
i dont know why he did that.
i am gonna miss you pal.

Associate
OP
guys i wouldnt be joking about this.
all the sources i have are in greek.
i went to a website that shows the true side of greek news the way media is afraid to show, and i show his name and that he took his own life.
i havent cried for anyone since 2003. i slept at his place while he was studying in bradford, he stayed at mine when he visited, we went out..even the jacket i am wearing everyday i bought it with him....
i knew from personal experience that the army is not the best place to be in greece, and he never said anything to us.
once i told him to join a forum that some other friends have made, and he was posting a lot there. we used to have our "lame-meets" almost every year. last time i saw him irl was a year and a half ago...
which was @ the last lamerclub meet at a big mall in greece, we went for some food and drinks, and then we went to see saw 2, which we basically made fun off during the movie. one of the best nights in my life.
his last post at that forum about the army, was after new years when an officer basically wrecked their own unofficial new years celebration.
i still have a kermit doll he gave me as a present for my nameday the last time he visited me in the uk.
i want to remember him like this, and anyone that has met him would say the same..apostolis was a cheerful person, and he was full of energy.
rest in peace my friend, i ll see you on the other side.
ill miss you.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Really hits home when some takes there own life, from this thread i presume he was Greek and in the Greece national army?

Wonder if bullying was a part of it, like Deepcut army base in the UK.

RIP 23 is no age, he had his whole life ahead of him.

the bullying is almost mandatory
apart from the officers, the soldiers do it themselves
they were bullied by the "older" soldiers before, and they are doing it to the new ones.
its an unwritten law in the greek army..
it breaks down to this:
you go to a center, artillery, communications,infantry etc. after 1,5-2 months i think of basic traning (bull**** training, 2 times shooting with a rifle, and learning how to parade) (in those 2 months, you go back home for a total of 10 days iirc) then you get transfered to a unit according to your specialty, the specialty that was assigned to you either randomly, either by a degree you might have or either by the connections you have/people you know.
There, the training you will get is next to nothing, and you get 2 days per month to go to see your family. what soldiers do is stack up months, as you are not allowed to go every month, and then request for a leave of absence.
Speaking from personal experience, i went to the artillery unit, and got a communications specialty. i first went to a unit around 500 miles from home, then i got sent for communications training to a center 60 miles to the north. there i learned the nato phonetic alphabet and some useless things about how to talk on the radio..
apart from the phonetic alphabet, which anyone can learn, i got nothing from the army, while i invested 5 months of my life to it (back then it was 18 months mandatory, now its 12) and i told them i need to be excused for psychological reasons. after going out i went back to school ( i was a dropout) and then i came to the uk to study.
i owe them 4 months in paper i think. they will not see a single day of me.
the greek army its a complete waste of time and money from the government.

we learned how to evacuate in an act of war, and the vehicle that was supposed to curry the communications team, wasnt functional at all.
every week we had to "maintain" the equipment which basically was dusting the vehicle, and then do nothing. of course the ones that have been inside for more time didnt do a thing. Every 1-2 days you were allowed to go out for a few hours, were basically you spend the money of your family.
in the case of pyro, his unit was going out every 10-14 days.

sorry for my long post.

Associate
OP
tomorrow i am going to call his mobile. hopefully it will be on, and i will send my condolences to his mother. i will tell her that her son had many friends, that even though he never met, they were really close to him and are going to miss him.

Associate
OP
what saddens me more..as a person that had met him irl, and had his phone number, i havent talked to him since early jan..
we only miss and appreciate people when they are gone, and its the first time i actually realize that.
my parents divorced when i was young, and i had little to do with my father. in 2003 i learned that he had cancer, and i cried, even though i rarely saw him (even though his family lived 5 minutes away). i didnt shed a single tear when i learned that he died.
i cried more for pyro since learning what happened, than i did for the person that is half responsible that i am alive.

i am sorry that i am spamming the forum, i hope you understand.

Associate
OP
his mobile is off. we are trying to find his home phone number but no luck so far.
he knows that our thoughts are with him, and thats what counts.

Associate
OP
the funeral is in a few hours. i will not be able to go as i am in the uk, but other people will. i told them to transfer your condolences.
at the area he was serving there have been lots of killings that later were attributed to "suicides" but no bullet casings were ever found.
i dont want to go into that mindtrip, but knowing pyro, i cant believe that he did what they say he did. someone from his friends had to know something, and nobody had a clue.
if he was killed, the killer of course wont be found as it was someone with higher connections. if he killed himself, something made him do it.
in both scenarios, i hope the guilty ones will find what they did in their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom