R6 or R1

Associate
So ive been toying with the idea of getting a sports bike, i currently ride an MT10 so im mostly used to the stupid power they have.

I like the 2015 onwards r1 and 2018 onwards r6 shape, thing is second hand used ones of both bikes are sometimes within a thousand pounds of each other price wise. is it worth spending the extra thousand to get the extra 400cc? or will an R6 give me just as much fun?

Soldato
I can't give you much input as I've always rode 600cc bikes and 675 triumphs but I've never wanted to go for a 1000cc just because I have so much fun riding 600's... Even out on the back roads I've rode with 1000cc bikes and not been left behind, I guess it's just down to your own choice bud, if you want the R1 I'm guessing go for it

Associate
OP
Thats the problem, i want an R1 but i also want an R6! i think itll end up coming down to a test ride, i think the R1 will be easier to ride when you want to ride legally because of the extra torque given from the crossplane crank, but the R6 might be more fun in the twisties because itll be screaming.

Also because i have an MT already which will be staying, the R1 and MT share quite a lot of parts which i can always switch around if im desperate.

Soldato
Definitely have a test ride of both.

I loved my 08 R6 but it doesn't make any real power until very high in the rev range. Coming from the mt-10 you may be disappointed with the complete lack of low down torque from the R6, It will be a completely different riding style, however get it into the twisties, rev the nuts off it and nothing will come close to its agility. You have to work a 600 hard, up and down the gears constantly to make power, not like a 1000 where you can get away with leaving it in 3rd :)

I had a lot of fun with that bike from track days to thousand mile Euro trips and it never missed a beat but in the end the squished ergonomics (I have long legs and its a very tucked riding position) and a bad back meant I had to sell.

I've now gone the compete other way and prefer the low down torque of a big V-twin, but it's definitely worth giving the insanely high rev range of the R6 a go!

Other than a change in riding position and a little more top end punch I suspect the R1 will feel much like the Mt-10.
The 10 being a much better road bike it depends what you want the second bike for?

Soldato
Definitely have a test ride of both.

I loved my 08 R6 but it doesn't make any real power until very high in the rev range. Coming from the mt-10 you may be disappointed with the complete lack of low down torque from the R6, It will be a completely different riding style, however get it into the twisties, rev the nuts off it and nothing will come close to its agility. You have to work a 600 hard, up and down the gears constantly to make power, not like a 1000 where you can get away with leaving it in 3rd :)

I had a lot of fun with that bike from track days to thousand mile Euro trips and it never missed a beat but in the end the squished ergonomics (I have long legs and its a very tucked riding position) and a bad back meant I had to sell.

I've now gone the compete other way and prefer the low down torque of a big V-twin, but it's definitely worth giving the insanely high rev range of the R6 a go!

Other than a change in riding position and a little more top end punch I suspect the R1 will feel much like the Mt-10.
The 10 being a much better road bike it depends what you want the second bike for?

As an MT10 and ZX6R owner, agree completely with this. I love the 10s low down power and gearing to suit road use and is so much more fun than my 6. My 6 feels more accurate on cornering, but that’s probably largely due to its aftermarket suspension.

strongly recommend looking at suspension modifications and braking modifications to make the most of your 10, whilst retaining the comfort at lower speeds (sports bikes Achilles heel imo)

Soldato
I had 650cc naked bikes for many years and I was really considering a CBR600RR, went for a test ride and bought a CBR1000RR :D

So I recon the difference between the R6 and R1 will be the same, you need to keep the revs high on the 600s while on the 1000s you have power all the time.

But do test ride them, I think coming from a mt-10 you will feel the R6 under powered at low revs.

Soldato
R6 for the road R1 for the track. No point in buying a litre sports bike just to ride on the road in my opinion.

I understand why people say this but don't entirely agree. On the road no one is going to get any where close to the potential of a 600cc sports bike (legally) so a 1000cc is even more of a waste, however I think the higher low down torque of a 1000cc is much more usable on road.

I think twins, parallels and triples make good all round road bikes, loads of low end grunt for over takes, pulling out of corners etc, and by the time the power starts dropping off at higher revs you're already doing well past the legal speed limit any way.

All personal preference I suppose, some might like the top end rush more but for me its all about the low down torque, the more the better, cant beat a big twin! :)

Soldato
I personally prefer the R6. But it comes down to your riding style and what you want out of a bike. I like the lump of power that you get by revving the 6 out personally.

Soldato
The R1 will just be an more uncomfortable MT10 on the rode, if you didn't have one already I'd suggest the R1, of course its faster everywhere than the R6, but it's easier to use and you don't have to rag it, not that I'd suggest those sort of antics on the road anyway.

Truthfully, neither the R6 or R1 is suited to the road, perhaps the R6 even more so with the way it produces power.

Keep your MT10, get an R6 or R1 and get on track, much more fun.

Caporegime
R6 for the road R1 for the track. No point in buying a litre sports bike just to ride on the road in my opinion.

I'd say the opposite.

The extra power makes road going and traffic more easy and you can be a bit more relaxed on the bike. The r6 does need a fair few revs to feel comfortable and on the road it can get a bit obnoxious

Ed

Ed

Soldato
I'd say the opposite.

The extra power makes road going and traffic more easy and you can be a bit more relaxed on the bike. The r6 does need a fair few revs to feel comfortable and on the road it can get a bit obnoxious
This.

Changing gear whilst overtaking is a distraction. If you're only on the road with it, ride the torque and enjoy the longer gears.

Back
Top Bottom