Race reports

Soldato
After the shambles of the other week I got out on the TT bike a couple of times since and had a much better ride last night despite the heat.

Luckily my missus came down and watched so she was on wet towel duty running to the toilets 3 times to soak them through during my warm up. Once I got going this dried out within a lap... Not much to write apart from it was bloody hot and much calmer than the other week, and my power was up to 282W so an increase of 17W and my time about 1 minute quicker. So much better fairing, especially talking to everyone else who went slower last night than the other week. Not sure whether I should do another one on the road before focusing on CX.

Soldato
17w for a minute seems like quite a gain.

Well in mate, how was your back getting off the bike? I'm peeling myself off the road bike come the end.

I might start racing season with a TT once it's a thing up here. Not sure how turbo watts (325w for an hour) convert onto the road in an aero position.

Soldato
Probably bit of a combo of being able to hold the position better having spent some time in it over the last few weeks, increased power and 0 wind. Although higher pressure would have countered this a bit. I probably knock about 15W off compared to what I could do on a road bike/CX bike.

Soldato
Well as no one on here seems to be racing I'll post up again :D

Little simple CX race at the weekend run by the guys who do our timing chip. 40 minutes, 15 riders with an odd Senior/V50+ category to contend with. Although this did mean I lined up next to the current 3x world champion in V60-65 with an U23 on the other side :D

Race was quite a bit later than normal at 16:30 which meant i spent most of the day burning nervous energy, just waiting for the return. Anyway got there and the mood was a bit sombre and quiet, but good to see some familiar faces and watch the slightly earlier races. Little practise lap showed nothing too difficult around some school fields and one whacking great hill to get up each lap which was quite short at around 4 minutes to complete.

I got onto the front row and when the whistle went had quite a good start into 2nd, after the first corner the U23 mentioned above (Fletcher) shot off, but knowing he usually fades I tempered myself back in 3rd behind the WC for a lap with the gap sort of static. On the second lap a rider from Southampton Uni came past me so I jumped to get onto his wheel, unfortunately his kick was a bit stronger and I couldn't quite get on, but wasn't far behind. Feeling my legs not quite having that full on kick yet as I've not been doing those sort of efforts recently. I continued to push on and got past Fletcher on lap 4, and keeping the distance to the Southampton Uni guy fairly consistent. I tried to start reeling him in over the next couple of laps and ensuring my power was staying up, and I made some time back on him as the gap closed, but unfortunately he obviously saw this and pushed on a little and extended his gap out. Nothing much else to report, it was a good race with power at 278W(312W Normalised) for the 39 minutes of racing which I was happy with. I felt confident pushing the bike through the turns, and pushing myself along, but definitely didn't have that snap in legs on the short kick/acceleration sections. Good to get out though and hopefully there will be a few more of these events over the coming months, don't think I can cope without some racing.

In the end came through second. little gif from the start.

https://media.giphy.com/media/UvW4pDIvJ0orKh3Cav/giphy.gif

https://www.strava.com/activities/3982844315

Last edited:
Soldato
I raced.
Well a team confined hilly TT on road bikes only.

Big ringed the climb right at the start like a moron. Caught my minute and 2 minute men on the climb within 15 mins then ate brutal headwind at the top and for majority rest of the course.
Had some nutjob in a van with bikes (mountain/scummy types) stop dead in middle of road in a village and he then wheel spin/raged after me and nearly wiped out another two riders before abandoning his idea of chasing us to, I assume, have a scrap.

If the nat HC doesn't get to happen in October then that'll be it for me this year other than Zwift ****.

Soldato
Haha sounds entertaining, how was the power? Your zwift racing should help you massively in being prepared and having those upper echelons of power!

I saw the nat10 was on yesterday no idea on numbers but suspect it was busy. Few hilly tts left now but I'll give them a miss and write off the tts this year, get more aero over the winter dependent on cross and get going again next.

Soldato
Haha sounds entertaining, how was the power? Your zwift racing should help you massively in being prepared and having those upper echelons of power!

I saw the nat10 was on yesterday no idea on numbers but suspect it was busy. Few hilly tts left now but I'll give them a miss and write off the tts this year, get more aero over the winter dependent on cross and get going again next.

315NP for the hour. Same power on the climb as I did in the national HC itself on there 2 years ago.
It's the wind that wrecks me and where bigger guys can just put time in me despite me physically doing way more w/kg.

Training Peaks told me 322w for my FTP about 6 weeks ago about 2 days before I actually done 322w on the nose up Ventoux on Zwift so 315w is right around what I'd expect on a hilly with a big descent.

Road racing is where the endless Zwift racing year would help me I think. I've always had good threshold power but sucked at 1-5min. So I hope that's where Zwift has helped strengthen me as a rider. No chance we will find that out this year though :(

Nat 10 was on that new Newbury velo course. SC and doesn't appear to be a rapid course in comparison to some. Bingham won it. Event was packed out for sure. Kyle Gordon from up here was 4th. I thought he would podium at least after his sub 18 a fortnight ago. He is on silly good form right now.

Soldato
Good power then, least Zwift has given you the motivation to carry on pushing. I will definitely do a bit more over winter once I get my subscription again.

Yeah over on the A4 definitely not a quick course.

Soldato
Been a bit flat out this week, but last Sunday I had a nice easy 2 hour CX race....Battle in the Bowl.

This is my favourite event of the year since it was started 4 years ago. i'm not sure why as it is 2 hours of pain and really takes it out of me and this report will be fairly limited as I can't really remember a great deal. IT's usually in May and is usually a dust bowl, but this year being postponed to September it was even dustier and due to the local area being home to nesting birds the route was changed, which takes out the steep climb half way around the lap and the struggle around the top of the Bowl followed by a very quick descent through the woods (usually someone hits a treee every year).

Due to the timing and everything going on, I hadn't especially focussed on the race and just had a few easier days prior to rest up, on the Saturday I felt ok but not amazing, ohwell. Race day came and I decided on some file tread 40mm wide Vittoria Terreno Drys considering the conditions, the start was separated into 3, seniors, V40+ and Womens. I got a good start from the left side of the grid (probably not the besT) and was in around 15th round the first corner when someone far too eager gave me good elbow nudge, I told him to calm down with 2 hours of racing to come. I got onto the front group after someone fell on the first transition to the gravel on the first lap (ie 2 corners in...) and worked out I was about 13th. I settled on the back of the group knowing I coudl suck some wheels and not go too hard too early. The pace was pretty brutal with 2 Canyon DHB guys on the front. Over the course of the first lap it slowly spread out as people lost wheels through the twisty bits and up the steeper climbs, on lap 2 i was in the second group and just pacing myself as steadily as possible working with a few people I knew. This remained the status quo for about the next 30 minutes as a few people dropped back from the lead group either with a mechanical or due to poor pacing and I moved up to 10th. This was the best it got as I carried on in this group for what seemed an hour or so, getting a new gel and water bottle every 2 or 3 laps, my power started well with a 320w or so first lap (8.5mins) 300W second and then i settled around 280 for the next 3 or 4 laps, it slowly dropped as the hour passed and I got through to about 90 minutes at 260W average after a few laps where my group split apart as people tired but I was trying to remain conistent passing backmarkers.

As I got to about 95 minutes I thought I heard a slight squidge from my tyre and thought nah it's in my head and passed the pits, unfortunately it wasn't nothing and as the lap went on I heard it a few more times and eventually nursed the tyre back to the pits losing about 1.5minutes over the course of the lap. From here I pushed on to the finish as I had recovered a little with some stronger laps back up 265W-270W laps. Only real event I had was on my last lap as I descended through the fast sweepers I was caught by the leaders, who didn't call out their approach and then after a few corners shouted wide with my response being what side. I then had a bit of a tantrum being 1hr 55 or so in and refusing to move from the line until they either passed or called a side. the first got passed but the second didn't know CX etiquette (the reason being you coudl move off line and turn into their path as riders usually prefer passing on a certain side and I wasn't going to move offline and risk a collision or drop major time as I knew I was being caught from behind) he then moaned I'd ruined his race... Ohwell I finished the lap off and came home in 13th absolutely exhausted. Power was good with a 250W(270NP) and 175HR average for 2 hours. I was certainly spent afterwards and only really felt back to normal legs wise yesterday.

Still not bettered my first year result of 9th, but will carry on attempting to get back into that top 10. Good thing was comparing myself to my fellow league riders and seeing i was generally faster than the guys I'm usually scrapping with. I still don't have those kicks and I'm a bit overweight (71kg compared to 68KG) but it's soemthing to work on prior to our league restarting on 11th October. Few pictures on my strava below.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4021177200

Soldato
CX is back, well for a day.

Our club after much debate and talking from our small group of organisers decided to take the plunge and put on a race. It took a lot of organising and Risk assessment completion but was probably the simplest on the day to run and peaceful event we have ever had.

As i've shown in years preivous our course is usually hideous being run on a motoX circuit, so it's mostly up or down. We're not graced with much space but we make the best of it. One forgiving thing this year is that it was dry, this made the course rideable at least. Due to the restrictions we had only 50 riders per race and due to this we had the juniors in our race. GREAT. Not....

I was gridded 4th owing to my high league position last year and got off to an average start. Dropping about 6 or 7 places mostly to the nippers flying past weighing 6 stone on the uphill start (@xdcx types). I made up a few spots on the 3rd corner but instantly i heard a small blip of air. I had put quite a bit of time into my tyres the previous few days knowing there would be no pits or any other form of assistance, so annoyed I carried on. the tyre was ok but every now and then I heard a bit mainly on the bumpier sections, worse was the noise coming from my rear derailleur. I had checked my bike over properly just a few days before so no idea what that was, but pushed on and worked past a few more guys and tried to settle into a rhythm. I had my main summer training partner Toby just a few places behind me (my mates Son). He managed to get past the guy he was with as we caught and passed one rider dropping back. The laps went thick and fast lasting about 4:45 each at just under a mile. with 3 laps to go Toby got on my wheel and we both pushed on as much as possible, however we weren't making big inroads but dropped the guy off our wheel. Toby sat there for the next couple of laps with my tyre burping a bit of air each lap on the bumpy stuff. Toby put the pass on with just a few corners to go at a corner that I took very easy due to the bumpy heavy braking requirements. worrying about a big pressure loss. I got on his wheel on the short downhill run ot the final hairpin and was going to attempt a move but couldn't brake late enough as he covered the corner. Out of the corner I smashed it down and through the rutted mud getting side by side but as we went through the next corner I had got behind. Into the final turn I had 25 metres to sprint uphill to the finish. I went wider out the corner onto the smoother surface and just kicked and kicked crossing the line. Unsure if I was ahead or not. I'll let you decide.

I must say my throw looks very pro!
VFOTQoM.jpg

UC5qD6n.jpg

zmk5wKV.jpg

Soldato
I don't hang around, lockdown ends and racing the next week!

Bit of a novelty that this new course is just 15 minutes ride from my house! Back to normal senior only race, so no little whipper snappers yesterday in our race, they battered the older fellas in the morning. The races were over two days with the u16 and below on the Saturday when the weather was a mixture of Hail, Rain, Sunshine, but never going over 3c.... Sunday was better with it being dry from around 4pm the day before, but still pretty slippery. The course being on the side of a chalk hill means it drains well, but slippy under the surface.

Can give you a better idea of what I have to cope with as the organisers made a good few videos showing it in the preceeding week. IT wasn't this nice by the time we rode...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvs...MaSPQOHjg0lLuZKbvCLY&ab_channel=SolentPirates
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xf...9uV2oF7K90Dbp0U8zFyg&ab_channel=SolentPirates

I was gridded 6th so on the front row, with a short sharp uphill, to the first corner. I had an average start dropping to about 12th or 13th, but I knew the race would be an absolute slog fest and after watching the first race of the day knew being consistent and staying upright would pay benefits.

I made up a few places quite quickly on the bottom half of the course where having confidence in being able to put the power down paid dividends. After about half a lap I was up to about 8th and keeping the leaders in sight, unfortunately from here on it got quite hazy. The course was absolutely brutal requiring full concentration all the way round! I know I was 5th after the first lap and was holding close to 4th ahead and slowly had a strong rider catching me from behind. He caught me on about lap 4 and flew past heading up the hill, but I knew I had a big gap behind so focused on keeping it steady and not going too deep at any point. As the race went on the sun dropped (race start 14:55) so it got steadily darker and thus colder and damper/slippier on the bottom half of the course. On lap 5 I had a small drop and twisted my handlebars which I thought were slightly off centre a few laps before, it looked as though when I checked after the race they were slightly loose, but got back on quickly and kept it going. The last couple of laps I was too far behind 5th and far ahead of 7th so I eased it back and just got round to finish 6th Overall. I was happy with the race, but think wityh a bit more race sharpness and bit less weight I could have got 5th, but think 4th was out of reach. Although a couple of riders were interlopers who haven't raced the league before, so positioned about where I would expect ahead of some of my main rivals. I was definitely one of the more confident riders on the slippery sections as I gained some big time earlier in the race when I could still see 3rd/4th/5th. But need to improve my more technical skills across big lumps and jumps. Power was good considering the either up or down nature with NP at 252 but every lap had a 1 minute climb which I pretty much nailed at 400W each time. Was a good workout throughout and so good to be back racing and seeing friends and clubmates.

TungwyP.jpg

nWtp1m8.jpg

pcJmwnH.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/4438537118

Soldato
Been a while, but finally back racing properly! Big old event I've done for 5 or 6 years now. a 2 Hour CX race with a good 150 people lining up at the start across multiple categories. It's one of my favourite races of the year as it's a true war of attrition. the day got off to a good start when I busted my skinsuit zip straight away, exactly the same thing I did as last year (lockdown weight gain!!) Luckily I had brought my spare one with me, so whacked that on.

Off the start i was on about 3rd row and got an OK start, but didn't smash it out, being so tight and crazy as we jumped onto the first climb I dug deep to bridge to the front group as there was a savage headwind, a few riders came past me, but I was there or thereabouts.

On the first descent twisting turns someone came off in front of me, typical first lap testoterone, as I put a foot down to not fall over I stood right on his valve and he probably left the race there and then among quite a few expletives. On the 2nd big climb of the lap the front group had split into 2 or 3 as the field got spread out in the technical bits and i was towards the back of the last group, but I kept in the wheels to save my energy. I stayed with this group for 2 or so laps until the final descent where my chain dropped, I realised about half way down so jumped off at the tight hairpin at the bottom and got it back on, although I gave away a good 20-30 seconds as it wouldn't go on straight away. Unfortunately from here on out I was in a race of my own, it was quite a lonely and uneventful hour and 20 after this. the weather stayed fairly stable, strong headwind on the 2 climbs but dry luckily as I discarded my baselayer pre start. I plugged on through trying to keep the power as high as possible on the climbs, and not going too deep knowing I would struggle more later. I did pass one or two guys but with a field that big you struggle to work out who you're lapping or overtaking. as it got to about 1hour45 in there was no last lap bell going, I wasn't happy at this point as I didn't think I could do 2 more laps, however on the 2nd big climb one guy came flying past me! so I only assumed he was leading! and as I got to the bottom section I heard on the tannoy he was the leader!

I think this is the 6th time I've done this race and my best result was in the first year coming in 9th (much smaller and less capable field) so since then I've been chasing a top 10! I was in 10th going into the final lap but was passed on the second climb by a nipper recovering from a puncture! So once again i'll be chasing that top 10 placing. Power wasn't too bad throughout. 248W avg and 284NP despite the stop for the chain drop, so best power i've ever put out for the race. thinking back I maybe shouldn't have gone off so hard and let the groups go, but know I need to work on that top end power and quick recovery for the winter! But happy considering first CX race for a long time and a tough one to settle back in to. Will be heading for some summer CX this year as it's something I usually dont do, but could do with some proper race effort practise!

https://www.strava.com/activities/5345582624

Soldato
Easier to stay with the group if a headwind and you can get a rest on the straights, let them drag you along even if you’re only holding the wheels round the other bits?

Soldato
All well and good in practise, but when they're chucking out power up the climbs you know will blow you up, it's more sensible to drop. dropping the chain lost me a chance tostay with the group anyway so a moot point.

Soldato
Soooo I've finally cracked the 300w for a 10mile this evening, was at the football last night and didnf get in until 2am then up again at 7,so felt shattered all day. But during warm up my legs spun up the Watts nicely in the sprints, but main thing for tonight was getting round and back to the car and home for football!

With tailwind on the way out I expected a quick first 5 miles, yet it was about the same time to the turn as last week. And then hammered it back passing numerous riders on the way back, came home with a 20:57 so somehow 19s down on last week despite 25w more! Looked as though later riders had better conditions but even so frustrating to see the time difference. Managed to make it home for ko. I need a float night now! Although hardly any 10s on that course this year unfortunately so don't think I'll get many more opportunities.

Soldato
Cross is back! Although not much of a report from last week as my race lasted all of 3 corners! Unfortunately my chain got jammed in between the derailleur cage and jockey wheel and I dropped from 5th place after a good start off the grid (unusual for me) to dead last way way back. Used the rest of the race as training as when it's dry it's hard to make it back, well that and I lost a cleat bolt 2 laps in so couldn't unclip for the hurdles. Pace was probably good enough for top 5 and when I got lapped by 2nd place I held his wheel for 3/4s of a lap, so on to tomorrow and hopefully better luck!

However my new shoes looked amazing!

Me after 2 corners.

jDIRKcu.jpg

Super Shoes - few more pics on instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/CTuyJPmM-A9/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

RvOpbmo.jpg

Couple of laps to go

eXD65dB.jpg

Back
Top Bottom