Racism or not?

Permabanned
So would Lammy like to see the "white saviours" stop sending aid abroad to black countries? I have no problem obliging him, personally, especially given how India and Pakistan are behaving and given their wealth is sufficient for nuclear programmes and space technology :) He really is a most unpleasant and shoulder chipped chappie.

Associate
Doesn't he have an original thought it his noggin? Bob Geldof got all this 5 years ago for trying to represent the whole of Africa as a starving poverty stricken hell hole to plug live aid 30. He's a bit late to the party condemning celebs for filming charity pieces. He wouldn't say it someone like Billy Connolly of course ..... I wonder why.

Associate
It's David Lammy.... he opens his mouth and rubbish falls out

He is almost as bad as Diane Abbot... Almost.

And apparently before this comic relief offered him the chance to do a piece for them. and he snubbed it so.....

Man of Honour
He has a good point it's explotation to a degree. Celebs wanting ratings.

To some extent, yes, but it's also true that using famous people will draw more attention and thus more money.

But that's a seperate point in my opinion. His objection is explicitly racist. He's not objecting to her being famous. He's objecting to her being "white". It's purely racist on his part. There's no question about that. The only question is how socially acceptable his racism is.

Soldato
Personally I think if you're starving, you are a victim. If you're doing something to highlight an issue or help alleviate said issue then that's a good thing. I'm not sure where race really comes into this if I'm honest.

Soldato
He has a good point it's explotation to a degree. Celebs wanting ratings.

Whatever you think about her ability, Stacey Dooley is a journalist, it's her job. She's not a random celebrity. Dancing shows that call anyone that's appeared on TV a celebrity don't count. :)

That criticism may have some validity for people who's fame comes from the entertainment industry like Ed Sheeran, but I don't think he did that for self promotion either.

Soldato
Well he's certainly got some very skewed priorities if it's more important to him to worry someone somewhere might vaguely recollect forgotten arguments for colonisation more than it is to actually help starving children.

Lammy says ""Comic Relief is a 20-year-old formula that asks comedians to perform and sends celebrities - most often white - " Well yes, they're most often "White". This country is majority White. I'd ask him if he understands basic statistics but this is the man who said that Henry the IV succeeded Henry the V on Mastermind amongst other dumbfoundingly stupid answers.

Also this:
Lammy's issue is that she is white. So yes he is being racist.

Soldato
So would Lammy like to see the "white saviours" stop sending aid abroad to black countries? I have no problem obliging him, personally, especially given how India and Pakistan are behaving and given their wealth is sufficient for nuclear programmes and space technology :) He really is a most unpleasant and shoulder chipped chappie.

There you go, in a nutshell - Chris Wilson agrees with him. What more proof do we need?

Don
I'm a bit in-different to Stacey Dooley over this as he does have a point in general but she is there for good reasons, but, particularly with the instagram generation, where it seems to be a fairly common thing for women to be pictured holding a random black toddler in Africa as if it's some sort of fashion accessory.

Soldato
According to my mate Jamal, black people can't be racist so he's done nothing wrongg here.

Reverse the roles, "Don't need any more black.. etc" She would be fired from her job, probably arrested.

I'm so fucknig sick to death with the double standards in this country, one rule for one and one rule for another.

Soldato
From the Brass Eye series about charities and celebrities. Showing how celebrities will say anything to get their face on a charity yet not know a thing about what they are doing.

Associate
I'm a bit in-different to Stacey Dooley over this as he does have a point in general but she is there for good reasons, but, particularly with the instagram generation, where it seems to be a fairly common thing for women to be pictured holding a random black toddler in Africa as if it's some sort of fashion accessory.

Urghhh the Instagram generation (shudder) I don't get too defrosted too often but there's been a series of videos where some idiot drops a heap of money in front of a homeless guy or gives them a pizza and films them giving the cash back or sharing it etc. Pure exploitation for likes.

Back
Top Bottom