Racist! Really?

Soldato
The numbers, as that was the point in question.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

If you count "successor nations" then the number of slaves is clearly in the millions within the USA alone.

Even if you don't count successor nations, and you don't accept Indian slaves under British rule, or you suggest that Britain had no jurisdiction over any slaves at all, you still have millions of people subjugated within the British Empire.

I'm not counting the East India Company as Britain. Maybe I'm wrong about that, I'm not sure. It certainly wasn't officially Britain.

Without getting into the minutiae of British India and the role of the British East India Company in governing the country prior to the British Raj… I would still say that India was under British rule, as per my earlier post:

However, there is a good argument for millions of Indian slaves under British rule…

V F

V F

Soldato
I tried, I really did, but the guy’s somnolent voice, and soupçon of an accent had
me nodding off, the content may have been enlightening, but I had to quit.

Isn't that the problem today? No patience and no tolerance.

Man of Honour
Absolutely, on both sides of every argument. Everyone is just so angry these days.

Really? Because I said that the guy’s voice made my eyes begin to close, now I’m angry?

Isn't that the problem today? No patience and no tolerance.

Hands up to my virtually zero patience, but I have a fair amount of
tolerance, save for fools, and I’m NOT saying that you’re a fool V F.

Soldato
Really? Because I said that the guy’s voice made my eyes begin to close, now I’m angry?

Sorry, wasn't having a pop at you, more in a general sense when he referred to lack of patience and tolerance these days. Should have worded that more clearly. :)

Caporegime
possibly, she has had a previous incident where she locked herself in a panic room and refused to come out claiming she thought a burglar had arrived when the random drugs tester turned up at her house

there does seem to be a narrative on some parts of social media that black women shouldn't be told not to be loud and aggressive and that she's a loud, proud black woman etc.. as though that excuses being abusive towards officials

Soldato
She has definitly done some doping in her life
This is definitely one of those times where real life imitates the stereotype. The crowd should be ashamed of themselves cheering her on for her behaviour.

I read an article a while ago that speculated about black women having less dating success because of perceived stereotypes of "strong, black women" - ie: argumentative, aggressive people. Well this is it! Well done for perpetuating it, Serena... It's not such a thing in the UK IMO but like everything stateside, it'll bleed over here.

V F

V F

Soldato
This is definitely one of those times where real life imitates the stereotype. The crowd should be ashamed of themselves cheering her on for her behaviour.

I read an article a while ago that speculated about black women having less dating success because of perceived stereotypes of "strong, black women" - ie: argumentative, aggressive people. Well this is it! Well done for perpetuating it, Serena... It's not such a thing in the UK IMO but like everything stateside, it'll bleed over here.

You mean that thing called mob rule?

Soldato
I don't know how much is in the editing but that video is horrible she comes across abysmally. It's not like she can deny it happened given it's all captured in Hi Def in front of thousands of people. I appreciate sports stars get emotional they have a lot invested after all but the grown up thing to do is apologise as soon as the tempers calm.

Man of Honour
I don't know how much is in the editing but that video is horrible she comes across abysmally. It's not like she can deny it happened given it's all captured in Hi Def in front of thousands of people. I appreciate sports stars get emotional they have a lot invested after all but the grown up thing to do is apologise as soon as the tempers calm.

The editing is just removing the tennis she sometimes plays in between ranting. It's not altering the ranting itself - that's how she is. She doesn't deny it happened. She claims she has a right to behave like that because she's a woman, "black" and now a mother. She's claiming that because she has a superior biological group identity the rules of tennis (or reasonable behaviour in general) shouldn't be applied to her (or, by extension, anyone else with the same biological group identity).

She sure can play tennis, but she's a sexist hypocritical bully.

It's worth noting that neither she nor any of the people who add their own sexism and racism to her behaviour can provide any support to their claim that "white" male tennis players routinely behave the same way on court and don't get penalised for it. They can't even provide one single example of it happening, let alone evidence that it happens routinely. They're just irrationally prejudiced people making false claims about the group they're irrationally prejudiced against in order to pretend that their own irrational prejudice is somehow justified. Same old same old.

Random example - last year, a "white" male tennis player (Fabio Fognini) was completely expelled from the US Open, fined $96,000 and provisionally suspended for two entire major tournaments for verbally abusing an umpire. Unlike Serena Williams, who was only penalised one game for it. Unlike Serena Williams, he didn't claim his behaviour was a good thing. Unlike Serena Williams, he didn't claim that he was entitled to behave like that because of his sex, "race" or parental status. Unlike Serena Williams, his first response after the match was to publically apologise.

Or consider John McEnroe, the most famous example. He was repeatedly penalised for verbally abusing officials, up to and including being expelled from a tournament. Not just penalised one game.

Soldato
A controversial cartoon of Serena Williams published in an Australian newspaper last year did not breach media standards, a press watchdog says.

Critics complained that the caricature used racist and sexist stereotypes of African-American people.

The Australian Press Council noted that some had found the image "offensive", but accepted the publisher's defence.

The press watchdog said the newspaper had "sufficient public interest in commenting on behaviour and sportsmanship".

…the watchdog ruled that the cartoon did "not depict Ms Williams as an ape, rather showing her as 'spitting the dummy', a non-racist caricature familiar to most Australian readers".

Spitting the dummy is an Australian colloquialism for someone who reacts to a situation in a bad-tempered or petulant manner.

Knight told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation he was "very happy" about the watchdog's ruling.

The Australian Press Council is the chief watchdog for complaints about Australian media, but does not have the power to issue or enforce penalties.

Common sense prevails!

Back
Top Bottom