Rackmount for home network setup

Soldato
Lack racks look horrendous though. I don't understand people who spend hundreds if not thousands on kit and then bolt it to a £10 coffee table.

Amazon/ebay is worth a look through, but I think prices have shot up quite a bit over the last couple of years.

Soldato
Before you go down this route, make absolutely sure you have planned for the heat/noise/power impact, I say this as someone with a full size half rack on the top floor of three, you don't want to know how heavy it is or what it took me to be able to get it up those stairs, let alone the chassis/rail bill or how much the AC cost or the ongoing running costs of everything.

In terms of racks, I like the older Compaq/HP/Dell style stuff personally, nice and substantial, but they're 24U half racks usually, the Startech stuff is basically budget and 12U, it's adequate, the down side is it's totally open. Depending on the depth required, the wall mounted comms cabinets are often sold as server racks, a half depth chassis may work.

Soldato
Lack racks look horrendous though. I don't understand people who spend hundreds if not thousands on kit and then bolt it to a £10 coffee table.

Amazon/ebay is worth a look through, but I think prices have shot up quite a bit over the last couple of years.
Most of my kit is ex-enterprise and super cheap, so a lack rack made sense at the time.

I found some amazing racks on eBay - but shipping was absolutely killer, even for a half height short depth rack.

If you can find something locally and fit it in your car there are definitely bargains to be had though!

Soldato
Use Prism cabinets, can't really fault build and quality considering cost. Airflow isn't terrible but could be better but we tend to fit them out with rack fans which massively improves things.

As others have said, you usually can get decent deals on eBay if you're willing or can collect.

Back
Top Bottom