• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon 58x0 series improvements

Caporegime
I found this article earlier and thought it was interesting and haven't seen it posted before.

There's been a lot of debating about 4870x2 versus a single 5870 in recent days with many people tending to focus on the benchmarks alone, whilst neglecting to mention the improvements brought to the table by 5870:

First off, let’s consider some of the new image quality features present in the ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series GPUs. Following the feedback we’ve received, the texture filtering quality has been improved such that we now have a near perfect circle in the anisotropic filtering tests - the same level of filtering can be achieved irrespective of the angle the texture is at as it appears into the screen. However, beyond this, all the texture weights and levels of detail are now calculated at higher precision than previous generations of AMD GPUs (i.e. the ATI RadeonTM HD 4800 series).

Game image quality improvement doesn’t stop with texture quality though. Anti-Aliasing also sees some improvements. We’ve made some architectural changes to improve the performance of our CFAA (Custom Filter Anti-Aliasing) modes and also the performance delta between 4x Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing (MSAA) and 8x MSAA is very small, making 8x AA attainable to use in many more cases. Additionally, largely due to your feedback, Super-Sampling Anti-Aliasing makes a comeback. Although Super-Sampling is one of the oldest types of AA we did need to make hardware changes to iterate each of the subsamples over a single draw call and this, coupled with the raw performance of ATI Radeon HD 5800 series GPUs, makes for good use-case scenarios in many DirectX® 9 and OpenGL titles.

Then we come to power. There is a general industry trend towards great power efficiency, but we’ve certainly heard that echoed from many end users, especially where GDDR5 products are concerned. With the ATI Radeon HD 5800 series we’ve implemented a new memory controller that, despite higher memory speeds and data rates, is incredibly power efficient at load and idle.1 Coupled with the 40nm process and other architectural power improvements this enables a peak board power of 188W whilst providing up to twice the performance of the previous generation (i.e. the ATI Radeon HD 4800 series GPUs)1. Additionally, we now have the capability of switching the memory speed of GDDR5 devices dynamically and enter into “low strobe mode” (a mode with similar signaling as GDDR3) enabling us to crank up to 4.8Gbps bandwidth at peak operation, and down to 0.6Gbps bandwidth at idle. When taken in conjunction with a low idle engine speed of 157Mhz this enables us to get great idle power figures of 27W or below. 1 We didn’t stop there and offered something extra to those of you running multiple GPU’s per system - by making use of Windows Vista® and Windows® 7’s “Linked Adapter” mode we can determine when the additional GPUs in a multi-GPU setup are not required to be used (such as in desktop operation) and drop their idle power even lower than 27W, thus enabling you to have fantastic performance on tap when its needed but not chewing up loads of power when it’s not.

Low power operation allows us to take care of another area that registered a lot of feedback from our users of the ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series, and that is in the area of GPU heat. Although ASIC’s can typically run at very high temperatures with no issues, many users expressed their concerns on the previous generation (i.e. the ATI Radeon HD 4800 series), but on the ATI Radeon HD 5800 series we are able to run full speeds at much lower peak temperatures. What may be perceived as the obvious trade off for lower peak operating temperatures would be that this has come from fan speed and the audibility has increased, however in the case of the ATI Radeon HD 5870 graphics card, the increased board size facilitates greater surface area for heat dissipation via the fansink, so in fact we don’t need to trade off in fan speeds. Likewise, with such low idle/desktop power thanks the low idle/desktop power we can also run the fan as low as 1200RPM, much lower than we’ve run in previous generations (i.e. the ATI Radeon HD 4800 series), while the ASIC stays in approximately a 40-50C operating temperate range (in an open case). 1 The fan itself has had changes, with new bearings that produce a much lower tone, effectively making it barely audible while idling and producing a less piercing note at speed.

We’ve also put additional protection on to the board in order to better cope with runaway power scenarios. Whilst our previous boards have been able to capture unusual thermal events in a graceful manner, runaway power scenarios resulted in the board protecting itself by shutting down. With the ATI Radeon HD 5800 series we’ve implemented a hardware-level overvolt protection scheme where a signal from the regulators can be fed into the GPU directly and the GPU can take action if the regulators indicate they are operating out of their specification. In the unlikely event that such a scenario happens, rather than the board turning off, the GPU is designed to clock down to get the regulators back into a normal operating zone and then clock back up when they have done so.

Finally, we wanted to give a little something else back to you, in the form of a new look and feel for the product. We set out to make a new fansink design that would make the board seem more of an all encompassed product, rather than merely another PC component, but still unmistakably say “ATI Radeon” (quite literally as it turns out!). Whilst the PCI Express specification would tend to dictate a fairly rectangular box, we sought to give these boards some more visual cues and styling’s, and we hope that you’ll like the result - judging by some of the images and avatars already cropping up, it appears to have already captured some people’s imaginations, and we’re getting a kick out of seeing them.

They just need to give their driver team a kick up the bum now. :p

Soldato
ATI have been rock solid for me over the past few years in the driver department when I have owned their cards, its NV that having driver problems at the moment, their 19xx set are horrible. Currently on a 5870 and even on beta drivers its 100% stable in W7.

Soldato
this.

Its such a shame that thier reputation for having bad drivers has followed them this far, when it really isn't true anymore

Yeah, the only thing I'd want to kick them up the bum for is OpenCL support (although apparently it's only waiting on the Khronos group's approval so hopefully it should be in 9.10 or 9.11). Otherwise they work and that's more or less all I care about. The only thing I really want from the 5800 series is the IQ improvements. If I knew I'd definitely be able to afford them and that they'd be of reasonable availability, I'd flog my 4870 right now in anticipation for the 5770's release.

Associate
Hmm, good read that, thanks for posting!

I'm still going to hang on to my 4870x2 for the time being though as I cannot justify the upgrade expense, even with those added benefits of the new series. Gonna wait some more and see what the NV response is and what the 5870x2 looks like!

That's not to say that I'll upgrade even then - might end up sitting this round out altogether. Finances just too tight at the moment!

Soldato
this.

Its such a shame that thier reputation for having bad drivers has followed them this far, when it really isn't true anymore

quite true.

I'd never had ATI until Dec '08 and had stayed away for this very reason.

I have a friend who loves his Nvidia and because of this so called driver issue has not even read about ATI's new offerings because he assumed the drivers would be rubbish and the card not built well. Then i told him of the new card and i was getting one etc and well now he now has an ATI 5870 in his machine and can't believe how good it is. :)

Soldato
It is quite funny i had my 320 for almost 3 years and ati had a bad name for drivers then and still have that bad name with a few people, to be honest nvidia not been stella over that time with my hdtv and a few games,i don't update to new drivers every time because of my hdtv as something gets broken now and again just like with the 190.
I do think ati and nvidia are about the same most of the time and both have bad drivers now and again.

I do wonder as they get into gpgpu more will their game drivers suffer as they change direction as games may get less important to them.

Associate
I never had an issue with ATI Drivers but it does depend what games you play. For example reports are the 4870 doesnt work well in Lord of the Rings Online with 9.6 upwards. That would be my main consern is compatibility.

Associate
They're also seriously lagging in terms of fixing numerous HTPC related bugs that have been in the drivers month after month. Guess HTPC just isn't much of a focus for them vs the gamer market!

Associate
I would agree with that but issues like not working out of standby, HDMI disconnects, inconsistent black levels etc have been there for over a year and every time they fix one thing it seems to break something else!

Associate
I cant understand why people still say ATI drivers arent good.

Even now with windows 7 Release Candidate, a new operating system and a set of beta drivers, my 5870 is rock stable and i havent seen one single crash yet. Performance-wise, everything seems fine and i realy dont wanna lose my time benching and QQing about having 2-3 less frames than the guy next door because of some eventual driver non-optimization when i'm already running at over 60FPS in all games in max details :D
;)

The card itself is awesome. Even while gamming i can barely listen to the fan, the heat while in idle is ridiculously lower compared to my 4890, the overclocking is good for a 1st revision card, the performance is amazing, the drivers are intuitive and easy to configure, what more can i ask?

Oh and btw, the only driver problem i had for months now was with my 4890 when i installed nvidia physics on batman. Had a BSOD on atiXXXX driver.
Ironic lolol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom