• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon HD 4870 - Noise?

Associate
Has anyone seen any hard data on the noise level of the 4870s?

Most of the reviews ignore the issue entirely, Anands implies that it is bad whenever the card is under load, whilst Hothardware states that it is only a problem at start-up, but almost inaudible after that...

I like everything else about it and would buy one now if I could be sure it was quiet...just can't deal with ruining the immersion factor in games by having a turbine in the room with me :)

Associate
I don't have any "hard data" (i.e. numbers), I do however have a 4870 and a love of quiet PCs. The stock cooler, for me, was "OK" at idle but unacceptable (FAR from quiet) under load, luckily I had a spare Accelero AC-S1 r2 and it fits the 4870.

ATI 4870 + Accelero AC-S1 r2 + 120mm 600RPM fan (attached with zip-ties) = Quietness and power :D! (and it's 30c cooler under load, 84c -> 54c)

Associate
OP
I don't have any "hard data" (i.e. numbers), I do however have a 4870 and a love of quiet PCs. The stock cooler, for me, was "OK" at idle but unacceptable (FAR from quiet) under load, luckily I had a spare Accelero AC-S1 r2 and it fits the 4870.

ATI 4870 + Accelero AC-S1 r2 + 120mm 600RPM fan (attached with zip-ties) = Quietness and power :D! (and it's 30c cooler under load, 84c -> 54c)

Thanks for that - really helpful!

I might go down the same route and buy an accelero S1 at the same time - I think they have them for sale here as well. Can I ask:-

which 120m fan you used (e.g. Sharkoon etc?)

what zip ties are (apologies if that it a noobish q) :o

Soldato

That's not the cooler's fault, It's the fan profile/lookup table....no speed until too late then 100%, Just the same as the HD3850, do We see a pattern here ?

Associate
Yeah cable ties, just to hold the 120mm in place, I'm using a Nexus 'real-silent' 120mm fan @ 7v/680RPM

Exactly like in this picture (the picture isn't mine, but the cooler/fan/attachment is the same - hope it's okay to post):

acs1lbi4.jpg

That's not the cooler's fault, It's the fan profile/lookup table....no speed until too late then 100%, Just the same as the HD3850, do We see a pattern here ?
My main point still stands though, regardless of heat it's a whiney little cooler, fine for people not fussed with noise... I'm very fussy however and even in low/2d mode it was a little annoying. My whole computer is as quiet as I can make it (without watercooling) and I'm not letting a graphics card ruin that :p. The accelero is so cheap and makes such a big difference in noise if you like quietness it's a great choice.

Last edited:
Associate
Worried about this also. My 2900XT was far too loud so I slapped a HR-03 on it. Annoyingly this doesn't look like it will fit on the new cards, so I'll probably need to look at buying something else.

Associate
I'm talking about the HR-03/R600 that's currently on my 2900XT, which I'm fairly sure will not work. The GPU is rotated at 90 degrees. :(

edit: good to know the GT one fits as as a cooler I do quite like it, means I can reuse the fan I have as well.

Soldato
I'm talking about the HR-03/R600 that's currently on my 2900XT, which I'm fairly sure will not work. The GPU is rotated at 90 degrees. :(

edit: good to know the GT one fits as as a cooler I do quite like it, means I can reuse the fan I have as well.
Ah sorry, I thought you said 3800. :(

Associate
OP
Yeah cable ties, just to hold the 120mm in place, I'm using a Nexus 'real-silent' 120mm fan @ 7v/680RPM

Exactly like in this picture (the picture isn't mine, but the cooler/fan/attachment is the same - hope it's okay to post):

acs1lbi4.jpg

My main point still stands though, regardless of heat it's a whiney little cooler, fine for people not fussed with noise... I'm very fussy however and even in low/2d mode it was a little annoying. My whole computer is as quiet as I can make it (without watercooling) and I'm not letting a graphics card ruin that :p. The accelero is so cheap and makes such a big difference in noise if you like quietness it's a great choice.

Thanks again for that Markus - that looks like exactly what I need! Will use a noctua rather than a nexus, as I find they are even more quiet!

And to the over-zealous mod that deleted the pic Markus posted, I appreciate that the posting may not be in accordance with board policy, but if you check you'll see just ordered £300 of kit from you and I can assure you that that order would not have been placed if I couldn't have physically seen the card with the HS applied.

Associate
got my 4870 in now and I cant really hear much noise form the GPU fan when gaming...it spins up for a few seconds when booting up....but is pretty quiet at the moment. Its no worse than a 8800GTX which ive used for over 1 1/2yrs now.

Back
Top Bottom