• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX470 - Need help

Associate
Hi all,

Recently I had an issue with my build where I had smoke coming out from the back of the case.
First look it seemed to be the graphic card (rx470) as the fans were no longer spinning, however they actually work when iniciated by a third-party software.
Turns out it was the AIO cooler that melted down one SATA cable (nevermind).

My question is: is there a way to fix the issue where the GPU fans are not spinning unless when the third-party software is used?

Looked around and didn't find any solution, only someone talking about the RPM of the GPUs that were affected in one of the most recent updates.

Associate
OP
Thank you. PSU seems to be ok, the gpu I'm not sure if it's completely gone or just the fans. It is still detected by the mobo and it also keeps posting image , even if I try to open a game. The temperatures look stable, when using afterburner to keep the fans spinning :/

Associate
OP
I wasn't in the beginning, but later I found something related to these specific GPU where a video shows that fans weren't activated until it reaches some temperature that triggers the fans

Associate
Thank you. PSU seems to be ok, the gpu I'm not sure if it's completely gone or just the fans. It is still detected by the mobo and it also keeps posting image , even if I try to open a game. The temperatures look stable, when using afterburner to keep the fans spinning :/

Like the above poster says, a lot of these cards spin down their fans, not all but most. But melting wires are a concern, how did you ascertain that the power supply was okay? What make and model is it?

Associate
OP
Tbh I can't really say the power supply is fine, I just assumed it was because I tried it on a different build and it didn't present any issues. However, using a multimeter to check it will probably be the next step, I just have to buy one.

PSU is an EVGA SuperNova 80+ bronze

Associate
That should be a decent unit, so I think you can draw the conclusion that the melted cable is likely down to the device with the melted cable itself being faulty. Had it been some cheapo unit, that'd have been a different matter.

But fans spinning down and only being able to be overridden with 3rd party software is normal.

Associate
OP
That should be a decent unit, so I think you can draw the conclusion that the melted cable is likely down to the device with the melted cable itself being faulty. Had it been some cheapo unit, that'd have been a different matter.

But fans spinning down and only being able to be overridden with 3rd party software is normal.

The melted cable came from my aio H100i pro RGB cooler by Corsair. Meanwhile I've opened a ticket with them once that it was installed less than a year ago and was used for less than 100hours

Didn't really that about graphic cards, but it's good to know that I might be able to keep using it , great news when we look at the current state of the market

Associate
For AIO coolers remember the pump always has to be on the lowest point in terms of gravity (that means the radiators has to be above the pump), otherwise it will run dry and burn up.

I've seen plenty of burnt out AIO coolers because the cooler block / pump was positioned lower or same level as the radiator. Remember AIO coolers do have air in them.

Associate
OP
For AIO coolers remember the pump always has to be on the lowest point in terms of gravity (that means the radiators has to be above the pump), otherwise it will run dry and burn up.

I've seen plenty of burnt out AIO coolers because the cooler block / pump was positioned lower or same level as the radiator. Remember AIO coolers do have air in them.

That's true. I've seen a video explaining that and the reason why most people get air stuck into the pips. That wears out the components a lot faster than what initially expected

Back
Top Bottom