• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII

Permabanned
I'll say again, let's all believe the boss of the competing company. He has no point whatsoever, if Vega7 decimated the 2080 you think he's gonna come out and say that? Nope.

I cannot recall any another occasion when he directly commented on a competing product. If you have, please link it.
Vega II will be slower than RTX 2080 and Vega II will be more expensive to make.

Soldato
What is it with you as of late, 4K8K? You used to make some valid points and keep discussions and speculation within relatively sensible parameters, but now you're seemingly off on one, decrying everything because you fail to acknowledge, let alone comprehend, the bigger picture.

I do not understand why you are so crushingly disappointed by the Radeon 7. You seem to think that AMD have specifically designed this card to be their new top-level product, when the truth is completely the opposite, and cannot be swayed from the opinion no matter how many times you're told otherwise.

Why do you refuse to acknowledge that the Radeon 7 is nothing more than a repurposed Instinct card? At some point in construction, a Vega 20 + HBM package was deemed insufficient to be sold as Instinct, so AMD stuck it onto a gaming card to recoup some losses rather than throwing it in the bin. How is that so hard to understand? So every complained you've made about "why didn't they do this, why did they design that" etc. are entirely moot. AMD literally made no significant design choices to create a new gaming SKU. Rather, AMD just had a gaming SKU fall into their lap by virtue of wastage from Instinct.

Kill the FP64 capability (which is probably the part of the die that failed to begin with), don't use PCIe Gen4, ramp some clocks up and make a cooler. These are the only choice that have been made, AMD didn't create anything new.

Edit: and yes I know it's still speculation that AMD are repurposing failed Instinct packages, but it makes no sense to sacrifice massive profit margins by taking perfectly healthy Instinct packages away from that product line.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Well, according to nvidia itself, it is a failure. See how nvidia chose to stay on the mature old process with larger dies, meanwhile AMD went to the new 7nm and brought nothing substantial.
Maybe going forward nvidia's strategy is the best, while AMD investing quite a lot in 7nm was a mistake.
Maybe RTX 2080 Ti with its 754 sq.mm on 12nm is cheaper than a 331 sq.mm Vega II 16 GB HBM2 on 7nm?!

Have you not been reading this thread? This is likely a card that did not make the cut for professional cards which they disabled some things and are selling it to consumers. It was not purposefully built for us. Vega has limitations for gaming so obviously there is only so much more shrinking it/adding more transistors will do to that architecture. There will probably be a limited number of these GPU's relative to RTX cards. 7nm is still not ready for mainstream, it is fine for professional cards which sell for much more and is used as a pipe cleaner while the process matures. Therefore to me your comment does not make sense.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
What is it with you as of late, 4K8K? You used to make some valid points and keep discussions and speculation within relatively sensible parameters, but now you're seemingly off on one, decrying everything because you fail to acknowledge, let alone comprehend, the bigger picture.

I do not understand why you are so crushingly disappointed by the Radeon 7. You seem to think that AMD have specifically designed this card to be their new top-level product, when the truth is completely the opposite, and cannot be swayed from the opinion no matter how many times you're told otherwise.

Why do you refuse to acknowledge that the Radeon 7 is nothing more than a repurposed Instinct card? At some point in construction, a Vega 20 + HBM package was deemed insufficient to be sold as Instinct, so AMD stuck it onto a gaming card to recoup some losses rather than throwing it in the bin. How is that so hard to understand? So every complained you've made about "why didn't they do this, why did they design that" etc. are entirely moot. AMD literally made no significant design choices to create a new gaming SKU. Rather, AMD just had a gaming SKU fall into their lap by virtue of wastage from Instinct.

Kill the FP64 capability (which is probably the part of the die that failed to begin with), don't use PCIe Gen4, ramp some clocks up and make a cooler. These are the only choice that have been made, AMD didn't create anything new.

Edit: and yes I know it's still speculation that AMD are repurposing failed Instinct packages, but it makes no sense to sacrifice massive profit margins by taking perfectly healthy Instinct packages away from that product line.
Heh, seems you beat me to it.

He is making no sense right? I think it is his disappointment that is causing this. Many diehard AMD fans have disappeared from this forum. I remember people like flopper, never see him anymore :p:)

Soldato
He is making no sense right? I think it is his disappointment that is causing this.

I think it's more than that. His level of disappointment seems to stem from unrealistic expectations, an inability to comprehend rational arguments presented, and impatience (at best) or incapable or patience (at worst) when it comes to AMD's 2019 plans. Furthermore, and I mean absolutely no insult here, there seems to be a sense of very short attention span or memory retention, which is indicative of somebody with ADHD or Asberger's struggling with their condition. I do hope he's OK and gets help if this is the case.

Man of Honour
True.
Well, according to nvidia itself, it is a failure.

You realise this makes it sound like NV built Radeon 7 right? I mean historically Mcdonalds claimed that BK burgers aren't as good and were infact trash, it's marketing, you cant take these things seriously.

Man of Honour
I cannot recall any another occasion when he directly commented on a competing product. If you have, please link it.
Vega II will be slower than RTX 2080 and Vega II will be more expensive to make.

Who cares? that doesn't mean you blindly believe it before the card is even released or reviews are available. It just makes you look a bit biased.

Caporegime

Well you may have missed it but he did state amd freesync didn't work, even on amd cards. It's not been mentioned much...

As for vega being slow and trash, overall its a bit faster than the 1080, apparently that's slow and trash as well. Make some sense please.

Soldato
But we, the customers, prefer to have some competition. AMD is obviously absent and with the Vega II 16 GB HBM2 in its current form, nothing will change.

RTX 2060 was already released as a GTX 1060 successor with 55% performance improvement.

At 50% the price increase...... So kinda moot point.

Last edited:
Soldato

Actually AMD won't kill FP64 performance on RVII, which is why it will disappear from the shelves.
AMD will kill though pci-e 4.0, Infinity Fabric and no access to Instinct drivers.

https://twitter.com/RyanSmithAT/status/1083959608371175424

---------------------------------
@4K8KW10 & @Illuminist should i remind you that Vega 64 is not a pure gaming card either yes? And is amazing workstation card for content creation also.
It can also use general system memory(ram) as a fallback cache in GPGPU situations while the Nvidia card cant, when doing workloads need extra ram. Like rendering or eg Blender.
And talking about Blender, and content creation, the Vega 64 has similar performance to GTX1080Ti not GTX1080 on this area. (actually bit better than the 1080Ti these days).

And things like 3d Studio, Blender, Unity can easily gobble 16GB VRAM, and at 1TB/s RVII will be beating even the RTX2080Ti easily on such workloads, which is 40% more expensive.

RVII like Vega 64 are gobbling the Nvidia Quadro market share, thats the issue the Nvidia CEO has and is so salty.

Soldato
Actually AMD won't kill FP64 performance on RVII, which is why it will disappear from the shelves.
AMD will kill though pci-e 4.0, Infinity Fabric and no access to Instinct drivers.

https://twitter.com/RyanSmithAT/status/1083959608371175424

---------------------------------
@4K8KW10 & @Illuminist should i remind you that Vega 64 is not a pure gaming card either yes? And is amazing workstation card for content creation also.
It can also use general system memory(ram) as a fallback cache in GPGPU situations while the Nvidia card cant, when doing workloads need extra ram. Like rendering or eg Blender.
And talking about Blender, and content creation, the Vega 64 has similar performance to GTX1080Ti not GTX1080 on this area. (actually bit better than the 1080Ti these days).

And things like 3d Studio, Blender, Unity can easily gobble 16GB VRAM, and at 1TB/s RVII will be beating even the RTX2080Ti easily on such workloads, which is 40% more expensive.

RVII like Vega 64 are gobbling the Nvidia Quadro market share, thats the issue the Nvidia CEO has and is so salty.
I know this full well, me and vince always talked about its crazy mining capabilities and how its compute was outstanding, I was reading that a 7990 has more compute than a titan V and that was the last card that had 128 rops or someshizz

Caporegime
Associate
Soldato
I know this full well, me and vince always talked about its crazy mining capabilities and how its compute was outstanding, I was reading that a 7990 has more compute than a titan V and that was the last card that had 128 rops or someshizz

Actually I am surprised for the 7990 performance because is 2x7950s, since AMD had chopped that chip (7950) computing performance.
However, the 7970 which AMD didn't chop it's compute performance, is in par of the Titan V in computing.
Is funny that the ancient 7970 with FP64 947.2 GFLOPS is 2.25x faster than the RTX2080Ti (FP64 420.2 GFLOPS) when comes to computing.... :D

But well, for the Nvidia owners the PCs are now "expensive consoles" and completely dismiss the purpose of what PC actually is and used for.

Back
Top Bottom