Radiator location in my custom loop.

Associate
Hey guys,

So I setup my first custom loop last week and I’m still tweaking and playing around with things/ideas.

Currently I intake air through the front and exhaust via the back and top. I’m wondering if the air passing through the radiator is putting extra heat onto my GPU and if I might benefit from mounting the radiator in the top of the case.

Any input is always greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Associate
If you can't bring in any more cool air via other intake fans, then try having ALL rads as intake and rear exhaust. That'll bring cool air from outside across every rad, and the inside temp should only be moderately warm rather than hot, but, crucially, the airflow will be good.

That's the key, really, testing it for yourself.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply. Trial and error I guess.

I have room for two fans on the bottom (under the actual res and pump) and one more from the front so I could try that too I guess.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
If it's anything like mine, when operating under heavy loads, the air coming out through a radiator is north of 30 degrees which isn't ideal to have as an intake.

Associate
I would recommend that you have more intake than exhaust that way you will have positive pressure keeping dust out. The air coming out of your rad shouldn't be too hot with just a couple so no big deal, if it is then your loop is probably a bit warm so increase the airflow.

Soldato
I have a 280 in the front and a 280 at the top + an extra fan in the front and an extra one in the back.

Case temp is ~5c above ambient temp under extended full load, water temp is 12c above ambient.

Not sure it helps much, but might give you an idea of the sort of temperatures you are working with.

Associate
I have a 280 in the front and a 280 at the top + an extra fan in the front and an extra one in the back.

Case temp is ~5c above ambient temp under extended full load, water temp is 12c above ambient.

Not sure it helps much, but might give you an idea of the sort of temperatures you are working with.
Which of the fans are orientated as intake / exhaust?

Associate
The key is to have good flow through the case. Positive air pressure will keep dust out but maybe hard to achieve depending on how many fans you can have and their location. What i would avoid is air from the radiator blowing into the case as the graphics card will use that air.

I would therefore avoid putting rad at the front oft he case and place it at the top with air exhausting through it.

Back
Top Bottom